• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Removing the Headliner

Pokey

Member II
The headliner in my 911SE looks pretty bad in places. I’d guess replacing it would be prohibitively expensive.
</SPAN>
Have any of you guys removed it completely and just painted the ceiling?</SPAN>

Any recommendations?

Thanks,</SPAN>

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The headliner in my 911SE looks pretty bad in places. I’d guess replacing it would be prohibitively expensive.
</SPAN>
Have any of you guys removed it completely and just painted the ceiling?</SPAN>

Any recommendations?
Thanks,</SPAN>

If you study it and mentally "deconstruct" your overhead a bit.....
it's a fabric-backed vinyl that is pretty common in the upholstery biz. Above that head liner is probably a sheet of 1/4" soft foam.

If you can use the old one for a pattern, you could have a shop sew up new sections. Once you stretch them into place and re-drive a zillion staples around the perimmeter, just reinstall the teak strips that cover the edge.
Kind of tedious (right, ya think?....) pulling out all the old staples, but as one of the E-owners here might say, "it isn't rocket science."

You could even have some additional zippers put in the new sections.

I would not even want to think about trying to smooth-finish the overhead. An awful lot of work and then all the ss nuts and bolt ends would be protrude and gouge your head.

Opinions rendered cheerfully, deposit one virtual cent.
:rolleyes:

LB

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
That was one of the things on my "like" list when I bought the E29. Solid fiberglass headliner. Wash it down and it looks great. Although I confess I'm not sure exactly how it's attached. There is a gap between the liner and the deck, as can be seen by removing the wooden bungs to access the handrail bolts.

Anyway, the relevance is that I saw some threads on sailing anarchy last year in which people were replacing vinyl headliners with beadboard panels. There was some discussion of using different sorts of material. I'm not sure whether they applied the stuff directly or used furring strips of some sort. Looked pretty good.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Seems like I recall a project thread here where someone replaced the headliner with white panels and covered the seams with teak strips that ran athwartships. Looked really nice and is the way I would try to do it if I had to remove my headliner.

Emerald

I've messed with the vinyl headliner on Emerald and while tedious, it can be done. For reassembly, a good friend recommended I pick up a used professional grade pneumatic stapler off eBay I did. It was great advice and made putting it back up much less painful.

donaldd

Plybo

I did my 28+ similarly to the white panels posted here, but with panels made of 1/4" varnished plybo and finish trim of some sapele that I had left over from a home project. 1/8" plybo would work better, but I had the 1/4" at hand. I will try and post pics later. Quite a bit of work, but still easier than dealing with all the staples I think.

Guy Stevens

The Plyboo Idea

We have done it on several different boats.

Here are some photos of Aiki's headliner.
IMG_6614.jpgIMG_6588.jpgIMG_6579.jpgIMG_6577-2.jpgIMG_6578.jpg

Somewhere I have some photos of a Camper Nicholson 65 that we did, but I don't have those at my fingertips.

Guy
:)

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
A friend of mine used those fiberglass/plastic panels that are used to waterproof commercial kitchens/bathrooms. It has a small pebble texture and is white in color. Since its only 1/16" thin its easy to work with and flexible. He cut approx. 16" strips, attached to battens epoxied to the ceiling and then capped the seams with teak strips. Although a fairly odd material, the effect is quite nice, easy to clean and easy to remove if needed.

RT

erikwfab

Member II
sheet wainscoat

Another headliner option I used was 1/4" wainscoat plywood. 2' panels fit through the hatch and the butt seams are covered with mahogany strips. Hiphone photos 401.jpg Here is the only photo I have of it

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hey Pajo,
What are you going to do with the ceiling once the pan is cut out?

p.gazibara

Member III
Hey Pajo,
What are you going to do with the ceiling once the pan is cut out?
I’m not too sure yet, for the short term, contact cement and yoga mats. Im hoping to make panels that Velcro up like some of the modern boats have.

I also plan on reinforcing the high load areas with more glass (Genoa tracks, winch bases and such)