• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 41 for sale

vanfuego

Island Bird
Island Bird is for sale. She is a 1970 Bruce King design hull # 37
I have done a lot of work:
rebuilt the mast step
painted the hull above water line using a two part Sterling Paint, new paint on deck and mast, new bottom paint
replaced the wiring both AC and DC , everything is fused protected, i used marine grade wire ABYC approved and properly bonded the system(new zincs and shaft brush), rebuilt alternator,new house battery and ACR switch also
fuse protected, replaced the wire in mast, LED anchor light,new masthead and bow lights, new battery charger
rebuilt the mast head, new 316 stainless steel spindles and sheaves(plus a replacement set)new spinnaker blocks
new helm panel with temp, oil pressure, tach meter, push button cold star and ignition switch
rebuilt Ideal windlass and new foot switch on deck
replaced wire halyards with line
rebuilt all winches
built new hatches
built a stainless steel collar on deck where mast goes through and sealed with spartite collar
all deck hardware has been sealed with new sealant
new stainless cable life lines
38 hp westerbeke diesel engine with 2200 hrs before refit, new mechanical fuel pump, new 27 gallon fuel tank,
new fuel lines, new racor filter(primary) new mount and secondary fuel filter, new lift pump, new raw water
sea strainer, raw water and fresh water hoses, new transmission oil cooler/heat exchanger, new impeller plus a
back up, new fresh water circulation pump, new stainless shaft, coupler and three bladed prop( I still have the
folding props and a two bladed prop for back ups)
replaced cutlass bearing
v-drive was rebuilt
60 gallon fresh water tank
slightly new main sail and the main that was replaced plus a 170, 160,150,130,110,storm and spinnaker all sails have been inspected and repaired by Schattauer and Sons in seattle and are in excellent shape
removed electrosan toilet and fiberglass shower insert and replaced with a new port-a-potty.
removed sea cocks in head and patched holes in hull according to navy standards.
installed mahogany and holly sole in companionway, galley, around dining settee and head
new carpet and neoprene padding in salon and forward cabin
original Taylor kerosene two burner and stove(gimbaled) in excellent condition
full dodger with clear plastic windshields in great shape
two anchors, 1 28 lb danforth and a 45 lb cqr, 100 ft chain and 100 ft rhode and bow roller
new compass
installed an AC wall mounted heater

she is like new.
no electronics other than cabin lights, cockpit courtesy lights, new bilge pump and float switch, new depth finder
anchor and running lights( ready for you to set up how you like!)
she is a sensible cruiser. I'm sad to see her go.I have been working for a small yacht building company up here on the Salish sea for about ten years and decided to try refurbishing an old classic piece of plastic. I'm not going to candy coat this 42 year old boat and I'm not selling for a huge profit. She is affordable. This was a project and I hope the Ericson community can appreciate what I have done. she was all alone on the hard looking for some one to love her. see some photos in an album on this sight ( i need to update them). price is negotiable
please contact me : vanfuego@yahoo.com
I have my eye on a Cascade 42 that needs some love

Last edited:

vanfuego

Island Bird
price and photos

I would like to see her go to some one who really wants her.
I would like to get around 60k and that is negotiable. There is no dealer involved yet so I'll pass the savings on.
I still have a few projects I'd like to do and if I don't get to them that will also determine the price. If there are any changes or extras the buyer would like I can facilitate them at a reasonable cost. I have photos. check my album
I'll update it this week.

Attachments

• 423.jpg
    423.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 328
  • 422.jpg
    422.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 213
  • 415.jpg
    415.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 414
  • 417.jpg
    417.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 230
  • 416.jpg
    416.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 421

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Nice work! She's purdy (mostly).

I'm a little concerned about the obviously wet bilge! Is the keel well bedded? How are the keel bolts? Do you know where the water came from? That old mast step is scary.

Also, how is the deck core? Hull moisture content?

The bottom of the port bulkhead looks like there's some rot--or is it just water stained?

Is the cabin sole on your list?

Everything you've done looks awesome.

vanfuego

Island Bird
E-41

the bilge is actually quite clean. I dont have any photos but will add some. As far as I know the keel is integrated into the hull, there are no bolts. I'm not sure exactly how the hull was laid up, but I would guess two halves then seamed with a mat/roving combo. The keel looks to be glassed over and sealed. The bilge seams to be faired out with some sort of high strength putty and gel coated over. The obviously wet stains you see in the photo came from
the old mast step. Possibly water intrusion from the old deck and mast partners. I fixed that with the stainless collar and spartite. Also the old shower insert was cracked and I'm certain it leaked over and onto the step as well,
thats why I removed the shower insert an put in a new sole,again I'll add some pics of that. the old mast step in the photo was removed, what you see is rust stain, I sanded the bridge and bedded the new step in a 2 part methacrylate product called Plexus then sealed the edge with 5200 hoping water wont intrude. the new step is painted with POR 15 a rust inhibitor paint that works awesome. Plexus etches into metal and we use it where i work with fantastic results. There were some areas of concern with the deck core but I too k care of them. In some cases I drilled small holes and injected resin and or epoxy, and at the transom I removed the oter skin and replaced the entire core and replaced it with end grain balsa properly resin coated and core bonded to the inner skin and then glassed it over with a mat/ roving/and 1808 woven fabric. I then poly fared and gel coated. Probably the strongest area on the deck now. All in all the deck is in great shape, the previously owner sanded some of the non-skid off and I intend to either replace it or just paint it with micro pellets of some sort in it The port bulkhead in the photo is just stained and no problem seems to be present. A properly catalyzed and fully cured resin, be it "ortho" or "iso" polyester, vinylester, or epoxy, will not absorb enough water to make any significant gains in weight or loss in strength. The hull is not cored and is 3/4 " thick.

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
The hull is not cored and is 3/4 " thick.

And THAT is why I'm interested in a 1970 boat!

Thank's for your response. I'm impressed by your work, and I'm looking for an old, overbuilt, hull, with the type of refurbishment you've done.

Next, I need to learn more about it's sailing characteristics. I love the long overhangs and lines of the hull, but how does she sail? Do you know?

I'm looking at Valiants and Tayana 52's. I'm a Bob Perry fan, but also looking at Crealock designs at Pacific Seacraft. We want to give up our slip and just leave for, well, ever. It seems to have lots of storage space behind the cabin (no quarter berth?) Could two people cram their lives into her? Is she set up for anchoring (unlike most Ericsons I've seen). Could this be a long-term world traveler? I guess I need to start researching.

PDX

Member III

Thank's for your response. I'm impressed by your work, and I'm looking for an old, overbuilt, hull, with the type of refurbishment you've done.

Next, I need to learn more about it's sailing characteristics. I love the long overhangs and lines of the hull, but how does she sail? Do you know?

I'm looking at Valiants and Tayana 52's. I'm a Bob Perry fan, but also looking at Crealock designs at Pacific Seacraft. We want to give up our slip and just leave for, well, ever. It seems to have lots of storage space behind the cabin (no quarter berth?) Could two people cram their lives into her? Is she set up for anchoring (unlike most Ericsons I've seen). Could this be a long-term world traveler? I guess I need to start researching.

There is an E-41 review in the downloads section of the "Forums" page. Its probably one of the most comprehensive boat reviews I've ever read.

Last edited:

vanfuego

Island Bird
cruising an E-41

There is a book written by Ralph Naranjo about the time he spent on his E-41 "Wind Shadow" in the South Pacific with his family.

Island Bird has a quarter birth on the starboard side above the setee and a pilot birth in the aft starboard cabin that stretches under the cock pit. Both are roomy and could be converted into extra storage space, however, the quarter birth would be best used in a seaway with a lee cloth. I considered turning the pilot birth into a nav station and a sort of work shop. Space is needed for the sail inventory, but, that can be remedied by adding a furled jib. Without all the sails the lazarettes would hold quite a bit of supplies. I'll let you know how she sails and anchors soon. I've been super busy with work and cant find the time to take her out. I launched her last fall and did some interior work over the winter, did I mention I made a new headliner as well? In march I moved her over to her slip in Anacortes at Cap Sante Marina and since then I have been working overtime and weekends to make a deadline. Its June and there is still overtime. Weekends are free so I'll try to get the rig tuned and get her out for a sale........

Steuermann

Member II
Ericson 41 Sailing performance

Just registered because, frankly, I'm interested in the boat. I crewed on an Ericson 41 in Newport Beach, CA through high school and college. Raced, cruised. Spent many, many, many happy days on that boat. Bruce King now designs mega-yachts for the mega-rich, and if you Google him, you'll see that he has maintained the same ethic with his modern designs. I once met him when I was building a 1:16 scale half model of my friend's 41 Altum Mare which he gave back to me years later when he sold the boat. The model now is hanging in my son's bedroom.

The E41 is an extremely stable boat; slow roll rate, doesn't pitch much at all. She has the feel of a much larger boat with respect to how she feels in chop. When going to weather, the long ends make for an easy passage through chop, and as she heels, her waterline crawls up the long counter, effectively increasing sailing length. However, she's no match for a Cal 40, her racing nemesis. The Cal 40 has the underbody of a big dinghy and just scoots. I forget what the E41 rated under PHRF. I want to say 120. I think the Cal 40 was 90 or thereabouts. Unlike the Cal 40 the E41 would never plane downwind. However I've seen the knotmeter pegged at 12 knots downwind while surfing, and we buried the winches at 9 knots on a spinnaker reach in a knockdown. And I owned a Cal 34 for 15 years and I think its interior was bigger than the Cal 40, so there you are.

Under power, the E41 will do 6.5 knots at 2000 rpm with the original Westerbeke 4-107 (same as the Perkins 4-108) but no more. Short waterline and steep prop angle due to the v-drive engine configuration bugger (a technical term) propeller efficiency. With that configuration, she turned a 16X10 2-blade left-hand Michigan Wheel "Sailor" prop. And as Ralph Naranjo warned, backing her under power is iffy. Best to give a blast of reverse with rudder centered, shift to neutral and steer GENTLY or the rudder will stall out.

The boat's not without her flaws. But she's a great, very comfortable, capable cruiser with a well laid out interior, and sails very well, even will self-steer on a close reach with the helm locked down. And she looks absolutely gorgeous. A boat that would not look out of place in a wooden boat gathering.

Steuermann

PDX

Member III
E41 and Cal 40

I've linked a couple of pages from the "Saildata" site on these two boats.

Here is the Cal 40: http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=1977

And here is the E41: http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=2026

What stands out immediately is the E41 is narrower and 2800 lbs heavier and has a slightly larger sail area (715 compared to the Cal 40's 700). On the weight difference, Cal 40s have had a reputation for being under built, with tabbing coming loose. Never heard that about an E41. As far as appearance, there is no comparison, IMO, the E41 wins hands down.

In terms of handicap, I think they are only about 10 points apart today with an E41 somewhere in the low 130s and the Cal 40 the low 120s. There is a Cal 40 that still races, very competitively, in the Oregon Offshore. Two years ago it beat every boat of 100 handicap or higher by more than two hours actual time and was hitting speeds as high as 20 knots (downwind of course).

vanfuego

Island Bird
enjoying the boat

thanks for all the info. I've finally hoisted the sails. wow! She sails really nice. Started the day with shearing the raw water impeller pin. I don't see that often. After setting the hook and replacing the pin while catching our share of Dungeness crab we set sails and enjoyed the rest of the afternoon.
I have been real busy and still need to update the photos. Just finished the new cushions for the foc's'le and I'm installing some LED cockpit courtesy lights. Will be adding netting in life lines to ease the stress of my little 20 month son from going over while were out the last week this month. Planning to use the boat to sail over to Sucia island then around the San Juans. Who knows maybe I'll keep her a while......

Steuermann

Member II
Correction on PFRF Rating

I've linked a couple of pages from the "Saildata" site on these two boats.

Here is the Cal 40: http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=1977

And here is the E41: http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=2026

What stands out immediately is the E41 is narrower and 2800 lbs heavier and has a slightly larger sail area (715 compared to the Cal 40's 700). On the weight difference, Cal 40s have had a reputation for being under built, with tabbing coming loose. Never heard that about an E41. As far as appearance, there is no comparison, IMO, the E41 wins hands down.

In terms of handicap, I think they are only about 10 points apart today with an E41 somewhere in the low 130s and the Cal 40 the low 120s. There is a Cal 40 that still races, very competitively, in the Oregon Offshore. Two years ago it beat every boat of 100 handicap or higher by more than two hours actual time and was hitting speeds as high as 20 knots (downwind of course).

Just looked it up at http://offshore.ussailing.org/Assets/Offshore/PHRF/Hi+Lo+Mean+Report+September+19+2011.pdf

E41 ranges from 132-138, while the Cal40 is 114-129. I'll admit that the two boats aren't really fairly compared against one another. The Cal40 was more the racer and the Ericson was more the cruiser and I don't think Bruce King was attempting to better Lapworth's Cal 40, which first hit the water in, I think, 1964, when he designed the E41 which was first made in 1967.

Last edited:

Steuermann

Member II
thanks for all the info. I've finally hoisted the sails. wow! She sails really nice. Started the day with shearing the raw water impeller pin. I don't see that often. After setting the hook and replacing the pin while catching our share of Dungeness crab we set sails and enjoyed the rest of the afternoon.
I have been real busy and still need to update the photos. Just finished the new cushions for the foc's'le and I'm installing some LED cockpit courtesy lights. Will be adding netting in life lines to ease the stress of my little 20 month son from going over while were out the last week this month. Planning to use the boat to sail over to Sucia island then around the San Juans. Who knows maybe I'll keep her a while......

There should be a grease cup on that pump. It's common when an engine is new or has been sitting for a while out of the water for the grease to gunk up. Sta-Lube makes a very sticky water pump grease that's the only kind of grease that should be used in a Jabsco-type flexible impeller water pump. If the pump runs dry the rubber will get hot, stick and you WILL shear that drive pin.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
What happened to Island Bird? Beautiful boat, and I wonder who is sailing her now.
There have been no references to her here that I recall seeing.

Regards,
Loren

vanfuego

Island Bird
Island bird

What happened to Island Bird? Beautiful boat, and I wonder who is sailing her now.
There have been no references to her here that I recall seeing.

Regards,
Loren
Hi, thanks for asking. I sold her this last March. The new owner continued with the refurbish. Over the summer he stayed here at my home and together we replaced the rigging both running and standing. The rudder was replaced. New roller furling and jib. New main. Radar, gps, chart plotter. New Monitor wind vane and new steering cables on the helm. Then we headed south! I made it as far as Newport, Oregon. Was hoping to go all the way to San Diego but weather kept us in Newport too long. I'm planning to join him in Panama for the crossing and continue on for a week or two in the Caribbean. He's planning to take "Koza" all the way home to southern Brazil. I really lucked out. I sold her to the right guy! We have become good friends and I get to sail her more and further than I ever did owning her!
Thank you Bruce King!
What a wonderful sail from Anacortes to Newport.
cheers!