• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-35 mk1

PDX

Member III
Yes, lot's of rumors about this. This is the story as I heard it. Pearson was going out of business in the bay area and shipped the Alberg 35 molds to the dump with instructions that the operator cut them up. The manager there was an enterprising guy and instead cut a deal with Handy and Jenkins to purchase them. Ray Handy offered Bruce a job who was then working as a draftsman for Columbia. Design fees and royalties were to be paid only after the first hull was built and sold. The first assignment was to redesign and tool the deck. These dubious/sketchy beginnings were the birth of Ericson Yachts.

Thanks for your response, Martin. Fascinating history of boating in SoCal in the 60s. Your dad was definitely in the right place at the right time. I think I looked into it once and concluded that he was still in his 20s when he designed my boat (Ericson 30). That means he was even younger when he designed the Islander 37, a very beautiful boat IMO. Pretty amazing, not only that a naval architect in their 20s could do this kind of work but also that they would have the opportunity.

dwcaldwell

Help - New E-35 mk1 owner

I'm in the process of purchasing an Ericson "Alberg" 35. I'm hauling her out this week and completing a sea trial as well. The data out there on these boats is pretty limited and I am trying to be certain that it's indeed an Ericson. The PO has owned her for 20 years and was told that she was built in 1965. I've read as much as I can find on the history of the E35 and evidently, there were a handful of them racing and doing well in 1966, but sailboat data says they weren't built until 1967.???
Does anyone out there know where the hull number and ericson identification might be on these.
She's a US documented vessel and in pretty good shape. The decks are solid / stiff and the bulkheads are solid and good as far as I can tell.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hanktoo

Member III
On the MKII the hull id is on the bottom right (starboard) of the transom. If it is an Ericson it will start with ERY. The numbers on any of them are pretty faint by now. Worth a look there

dvwilkie

There is another thread on where the hull IDs are, here:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...79-Hull-ID-location-on-boat&highlight=hull+id

I looked high and low on mine and could not find the hull ID. There is a transom hull ID that matches my paperwork (Feb 1972) but my boat is clearly a Mark I E35, and therefore predated standard HULL IDs. The various surveys indicate I have Hull ID 42 or 46, but I couldn't say how that was determined.

Good Luck!
David