• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-35 mk1

why worry

Hi all, just a quick note to introduce myself. I just purchased 1967 Ericson 35 MK1 in Apollo Beach, FL and sailed it by myself to Dunedin, Florida it's new home port. Beautiful sailing boat, averaged over 6 knots for the 75 mile trip with autohelm on most of the time. Will be very busy getting boat shipshape with a complete painting of hull and deck, interior, new headliner etc. All the mechanics and fittings are already done, just needs a lot of cosmetic refurbishing. I am a retired yacht designer and plan on sailing south next year if all goes well. Would be interested in any comments from owners of E35-1's. Any known weak points etc.

Richard
S/V Why Worry2012-05-17 19.57.13.jpg

I am in the same situation as you. I just purchased a 1965 E35. I don't know that much about the boat yet. On the 8th of this month I am going to make the 90 mile sail from Newport or. Where she is currently to astoria or. Then a 90 mile motor up the Columbia river to Portland. Maybe by the time I get her home I'll have a good idea of what she is all about. She needs some cosmetic work but over all is pretty sound. Hope we can get in touch and maybe be a help to each other

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Cool Boat!

I am in the same situation as you. I just purchased a 1965 E35. I don't know that much about the boat yet. On the 8th of this month I am going to make the 90 mile sail from Newport or. Where she is currently to astoria or. Then a 90 mile motor up the Columbia river to Portland. Maybe by the time I get her home I'll have a good idea of what she is all about. She needs some cosmetic work but over all is pretty sound. Hope we can get in touch and maybe be a help to each other

I am sched. to crew an E-38-200 from PDX to Astoria over the 9/10 of June. Following weekend we take it north to Pt Angeles.
Hope to see you on the river!
I have never had a close look at a Mk 1 E-35, and would love to see it. I can think of several other local E owners that would like a look, also.
I have done the trip down to Newport from Astoria, a few years ago. We spent one night on the ocean and entered the Yaquina right after dawn. Easy trip south - going north might be a little more sporty if the prevailing NW wind and current is doin' its thing.

Bon Voyage,

Loren

chrismitchell45

I just bought my 1966 35-1 about 3 months ago in Corpus Christi and sailed her 140 something miles back to Kemah TX through the ICW the week before last. A word of advice on the engine and wheel if you have one. I have the Universal 5424 that was made by Kubota. It runs great, sips fuel and doesn't burn oil, however it has a dry exhaust setup that melted the hoses and cracked the water lift muffler on my second day in Matagorda bay. Instead of having the u shaped exhaust riser with water injector at the end of the exhaust manifold, mine goes straight to the exhaust hose. The seawater is routed from the heat exchanger to the fuel tank vent..... Needless to say this does not work for long periods of motoring.

If you have a wheel check inside your port and starboard cockpit lockers for the two bolts holding the aft pulleys and see if you have any weakening in the fiberglass. If you do you need to make sure there is no slack in the cable before you do any hard sailing that generates a lot of weather helm. Luckily I made it home and was in the slip before the cable popped off of mine. The starboard locker wall had been repaired in the past but not well. I got a 3" x 12" piece of aluminum and used it as a backing plate. These boats like to heel and generate a good deal of weather helm even on a beam reach and there is no way you can sail the boat with the emergency tiller. If the wheel brakes, drop sails and motor.

Another problem that popped up once I was home is a fuel tank leak. I am addressing it now but if anyone knows a good trick to get it out I'm all ears.

Other than these issues she got me and my son back safely in four days. I would have been back in three days but the winds went to nothing on the second day and I got chicken of the engine once I started seeing exhaust smoke coming out of the port locker and cabin. Taking the ICW had its pro's and con's but the first day from Corpus to Port O'Conner was a blast. I had 15-18 mile an hour winds on a beam reach in the cut between Aransas bay and San Anotonio bay and no waves whatsoever. I was leaving a wake like a power boat! I made it 74 miles the first day but only 23 the second. The third I made 34 and the fourth 56. My average speed on good days was 6.5 knots and the bad days was 3.5.

I have been going through mine extensively so if you have any questions ask away.

Anyway I'm a proud owner and look forward to hearing your stories as well.

Chris
1966 35-1
Breaking Tradition
Clear Lake Shores TX

Picture141.jpg

Picture101.jpg

Last edited:

chrismitchell45

Any new news on your boats?

Haven't seen any recent posts from you gents and I was wondering how things are progressing. I ended up ripping out my dinette area in order to remove the fuel tank which had a dime size hole in it and am now in the process of rebuilding the stairs and dinette. While the tank was out I re-fortified the rudder post which had cracked with structural fiberglass and then aligned the wheel pullies as well. She handles perfect now.Next ill be fixing the shore side ac and fresh water plumbing.Should post some new pictures tomorrow.Chris

chrismitchell45

Bump

Any 35-1 folks on the site other than myself?

Unfortunately my girl almost sank and now I'm having to replace the 5424 and while I'm at it do a full restore. I thought about getting a different boat but my wife and I are too attached to her. There is also the fact that I have yet to see a newer boat with as solid of a hull as she has and the fact she sails beautifully. Bruce King did a great job with this one.

Anyway I would love to hear any other stories about the 35-1.

Chris

why worry

Almost done!

Chris, back for a visit. Still working on boat, getting close now. I pulled it out of the water 2 years ago, was on the hard for 11 months. Stripped everything off deck, sanded down to gel. Same for hull. 6 barrier coats on bottom, then 3 coats primer, lots of fairing, then 3 coats awlgrip above waterline and 3 coats trinidad sr+ below. Deck got several coats primer, lots of sanding, and 2 coats of awlgrip. All fittings refitted or replaced, deck to hull joint cleaned out and rebedded with new bolts etc, toerail and rubrail replaced in sections, all wood varnished.

Installed new electrics, rewired all 110, most 12v. Installed 3k watt inverter, shore power, 12,500 ac, new panel, 2 new house batteries (31's) new 3 bank battery charger, some led lights etc etc. Still have to finish headliner and canvas ( dodger/bimini) new interior cushions, new head/lines etc. Repaired avon, bought new 3.5 mercury for it, working on 1981 Johnson 2 hp (was not running). Also need to replace lifelines, mainsheet traveler car. At least its useable, been sailing it, just got back from a couple of overnighters out into the gulf. Been working on transmission adjustment/linkage, not fulling engaging.

I also modified the rudder while out, extended it back to Carl Alberg design. Much better steerage backing now and much less helm used when sailing. Also replaced shaft bearings, and went to a 3 blade prop. With BD722 she does 5 knots at 2000 rpm and 7.4 @ 3000. I can save fuel by running at 4.2 knots at just .3 gals per hour. I hope to finish this winter, now that its cooling off here in Florida.

Richard

Any 35-1 folks on the site other than myself?

Unfortunately my girl almost sank and now I'm having to replace the 5424 and while I'm at it do a full restore. I thought about getting a different boat but my wife and I are too attached to her. There is also the fact that I have yet to see a newer boat with as solid of a hull as she has and the fact she sails beautifully. Bruce King did a great job with this one.

Anyway I would love to hear any other stories about the 35-1.

Chris

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looks great. Info from sailboatdata.com:

There are a number of stories about the origins of the ERICSON 35-1. One has it that the molds for this, the first of all the Ericsons, were purchased from Pearson Yachts.
Another version is quoted below:
"It seems that Pearson had decided to discontinue the manufacture of ALBERG 35's at its Sausalito, CA plant, preferring to consolidate production at the East Coast facility. They sent the molds to the San Francisco dump where they weren't broken up, supposedly because the crew stopped to eat lunch before doing so. Someone saw them, claimed them, and trucked them down to Orange where they set up a manufacturing facility. Bruce King redesigned the keel, taking out 500 pounds of ballast. He also redesigned the cabin trunk with windows with a shape similar to that of the Columbias of the period.
Pearson sued Ericson over the hull. They lost. Columbia sued Ericson over the window shape. They won. As a result, later windows had the same general shape but were split in two."
The only thing that can be said for certain is that lines of the ERICSON 35-1 do appear similar to those of the ALBERG 35.
Another, completely different ERICSON 35 was introduced in 1969, designed by King. (ERICSON 35-2).

l

PDX

Member III
I've always been skeptical of the, "supposedly because the crew stopped to eat lunch before doing so. Someone saw them, claimed them, and trucked them down to Orange where they set up a manufacturing facility," story, like it was all happenstance and that's just how boat companies get started. The original principles of Ericson worked for Columbia. Why would they have had occasion to be hanging around some dump in the Bay Area? I suspect they were tipped off ahead of time by someone from Pearson.

It is a beautiful boat IMO. Notice that it has, not only bisected Columbia port windows, but also an Islander cove stripe. In addition to the founding fathers of Ericson coming from Columbia, King had done work for Columbia and Islander both, designing at least two boats for Islander, maybe more.

why worry

35 mk1

Looks similar because the hull is a Carl Alberg design. No question about it. King never designed a hull like this as far as I know, it's pretty classic Alberg. Look at almost any Cape Dory from the Typhoon to the 36, same hull design, same sheer & lines. I once spent a lot of time on a Alberg 35, same boat with a few modifications to the Ericson, less ballast, rudder chopped, window treatment, and interior layout. Same exact dimensions. I think the molds were picked up at the dump, or sold on the sly to the founders of ericson. Pearson would have never sold them, they were still producing the 35'.

Richard

Looks great. Info from sailboatdata.com:

There are a number of stories about the origins of the ERICSON 35-1. One has it that the molds for this, the first of all the Ericsons, were purchased from Pearson Yachts.
Another version is quoted below:
"It seems that Pearson had decided to discontinue the manufacture of ALBERG 35's at its Sausalito, CA plant, preferring to consolidate production at the East Coast facility. They sent the molds to the San Francisco dump where they weren't broken up, supposedly because the crew stopped to eat lunch before doing so. Someone saw them, claimed them, and trucked them down to Orange where they set up a manufacturing facility. Bruce King redesigned the keel, taking out 500 pounds of ballast. He also redesigned the cabin trunk with windows with a shape similar to that of the Columbias of the period.
Pearson sued Ericson over the hull. They lost. Columbia sued Ericson over the window shape. They won. As a result, later windows had the same general shape but were split in two."
The only thing that can be said for certain is that lines of the ERICSON 35-1 do appear similar to those of the ALBERG 35.
Another, completely different ERICSON 35 was introduced in 1969, designed by King. (ERICSON 35-2).

l

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Studying your photos, I noticed the longer boom and shorter fore triangle typical of many boats of the 60's. And then came the design influence of the IOR and the very large fore triangles and matching genoa's in the 70's....
and nowadays the higher-performance rigs seem to be back to larger mains and 100% jibs again.

Sheesh - it's like wide and narrow neck ties! :rolleyes:
Although I doubt that those huge genoa's are coming back very soon - albeit much beloved by sail makers and makers of extra-large winches, though!

Kinda cool, you're right in style, with an easy-to-handle sail plan, all 'modern' again.
:)

FWIW, I have been hearing about a restored E-35-1 in the Seattle area that may... hopefully... make it to our NW rendezvous in 2015!

Nice looking classic boats.

Keep the posts and pix coming.

Cheers,
Loren

Last edited:

PDX

Member III
Looks similar because the hull is a Carl Alberg design. No question about it. King never designed a hull like this as far as I know, it's pretty classic Alberg. Look at almost any Cape Dory from the Typhoon to the 36, same hull design, same sheer & lines. I once spent a lot of time on a Alberg 35, same boat with a few modifications to the Ericson, less ballast, rudder chopped, window treatment, and interior layout. Same exact dimensions. I think the molds were picked up at the dump, or sold on the sly to the founders of ericson. Pearson would have never sold them, they were still producing the 35'.

Richard

The first production boat that King designed, in which he designed the entire boat, (of record at least) is the Islander 37. Wish I had a profile photo to compare with your boat's profile photo. But the Islander is less traditional than the Alberg designs, more in the vein of a Cal 40 with fin keel, longer waterline, flatter hull sections, firmer bilge.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I've always been skeptical of the, "supposedly because the crew stopped to eat lunch before doing so. Someone saw them, claimed them, and trucked them down to Orange where they set up a manufacturing facility," story, like it was all happenstance and that's just how boat companies get started. The original principles of Ericson worked for Columbia. Why would they have had occasion to be hanging around some dump in the Bay Area? I suspect they were tipped off ahead of time by someone from Pearson.

It is a beautiful boat IMO. Notice that it has, not only bisected Columbia port windows, but also an Islander cove stripe. In addition to the founding fathers of Ericson coming from Columbia, King had done work for Columbia and Islander both, designing at least two boats for Islander, maybe more.

Yes, lot's of rumors about this. This is the story as I heard it. Pearson was going out of business in the bay area and shipped the Alberg 35 molds to the dump with instructions that the operator cut them up. The manager there was an enterprising guy and instead cut a deal with Handy and Jenkins to purchase them. Ray Handy offered Bruce a job who was then working as a draftsman for Columbia. Design fees and royalties were to be paid only after the first hull was built and sold. The first assignment was to redesign and tool the deck. These dubious/sketchy beginnings were the birth of Ericson Yachts.

Last edited: