• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Battery Bank Wiring

Leon Sheean

Member II
Would someone please explain (in simple language!) why my stock battery set up is works like this:

Perco batt switch " 1 - both - 2 " implys that the 12 volt system can (and does) run off the Number 1 battery, Both batteries, or the Number 2 Batt.

But if for some reason either batt is pulled out, the other single batt will not power the system even if it's a new batt.

Why do both batts have to be in place for the system to be powered up, even if one of them is not good?!

Would it not be preferable to have a system in place where either ( independant of the other ) battery would suffice?

Does the 'bridge' strap between the two negative terminals of the batts factor into this discussion?!!

Thank you.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Our stock battery switch sounds like it does what your does, at least per the labels.
(off-1-2-all)
In our case when we select a battery, that's the only one powering the boat. So if the house bank is selected, it matters not whether the other bank is present physically or not.

Perhaps a prior owner made a change to your system?

Loren
:confused:

Last edited:

Dave Neptune

Member II
Check em'

Leon, the ground paths should not be an issue. I dothink that possibly the swtch is not wired properly. The grounds (one from each battery) just hook directly to the block and require no switching.

First the positive leads should go direct from the battery to the switch and be tied to #1 & #2 terminals on the switch. then the common or output of the switch should go directly to the starter selenoid. The wires could be crossed on the switch.

Dave Neptune :cool:

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
It sounds like your switch isn't wired properly.

While you're tracing the battery cables, make sure the red ones are fused near the batteries. Mine were not when I bought the boat, and I was sure happy I fused them before inadvertently discovering a hot relay in the engine compartment with the end of a wrench. The $13 fuse took a dive, but my $60 ratchet avoided becoming one with the engine, and my boat avoided becoming one with the seabed.

Hell, based on what we know about your switch, you should probably trace ALL the wires in the boat and know what they do BEFORE you accidentally discover hot surprises via Braille, as I did.