• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E28 Boom and Outhaul

montrosesal

Member I
Hi everyone,Successfully moved Rozinante to her new home. Averaged 5.5 kts over a 5 hour sail! Sails are a little aged but pretty fast :)When I hanked on the main, the outhaul was jammed and had to engineer a few shackles to attach the clew. The shackles will hold but wanna break into the boom to figure out where the jam is. Anything I should worry about? Looks like the clew-end of the boom should slide out once loosening screws but as always with boats there will likely be suprises. Hoping that another owner may have some tips.Thanks,Jim

Gary G

Member II
Jim,

I was working on my 28+ in the boatyard up at Waukegan yesterday and it was blowing stink - gusts to 30 knots. Were you out in that stuff? If you were I'd be interested in how you had your sails trimmed (I usually put in a reef above 15 knots or so) given the conditions and whatever point of sail you were on. Sorry I can't help with your outhaul question. :-(

Gary

Glyn Judson

Blowing like stink in Waukegan.

Gary, I was in Waukegan in August of 2003 tracking down five E31's and in doing so, visited the Waukegan Port District Marina on what turned out to be a very windy day. The marina office showed wind speeds of 50 MPH and gusting even higher. One poor soul had the furling headsail come undone and by the time any of us could get to it, the thing looked like a shredded paper towel. His boat was pretty far out directly ahead of the office and the sound it made whipping around in the wind could have been mistaken for gun shots, I'm NOT kidding. As an aside, I visited three E31's at Larsen's and the partially completed hulls of two more at Hi-Tech on that trip. I even salvaged the bow of hull #74 which rests in my garbage today here in Santa Monica. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

montrosesal

Member I
Hi Gary,

Wasn't out yesterday. Moved the boat from Waukegan to Montrose on April 29th. Was on beam reach at 15 knots with ENE wind, though had the occasional 8 foot swell and got really wet. Did trim the traveller pretty hard to leeward to reduce some weather helm and she handled really well. With some occasional puffs we released the mainsheet a bit but didn't feel overpowered. We were averaging 5.8 knots from Waukegan to Wilmette before wind started to die down.

When will you be moving? What harbor are you out of?

Jim

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Jim,

I can't speak about the E28, but our 33 has the outhaul blocks attached internally near the gooseneck end of the boom. Nothing much is at the clew end. There are two blocks. One is attached via a 1-2 ft cable pennant to an eyestrap. The eyestrap is held in place by pop rivets through the underside wall of the boom. I drilled out the pop rivets and removed all the outhaul cables, blocks and lines. Re-assembly was the tough part. You need a skinny hand and arm to reposition the eyestrap while someone else reinserts pop rivets. It is tough to line it up, but it can be done. Make sure the eye of the cable is captured by the eyestrap before the rivets go back in!

BTW, I think it is a 4:1 outhaul purchase. The second block is basically adrift in the boom, but is captive between the lines and the cable which leads to the aft end of the boom around and up to the clew. I had my boom off the boat and on sawhorses to do all this (and painting).

Gary G

Member II
Jim,

Yesterday was pretty wild - at least up north of the city. Not a day I'd care to be out in. The boat's on the hard at Larsen's. I'll be splashing in a couple weeks and have a slip in Waukegan harbor.

Gary

montrosesal

Member I
E28 Outhaul

Thanks Kieth,

This defintely helps. A little more work than I was prepared for - concerning that there's a block in the middle of the boom, almost wondering if that's where it's snagged as either end (gooseneck and clew) have some play. Thinking I may just leave as-is and wait for the fall. Never adjusted the outhaul on my previous small (16') boat - do you forsee any issues when reefing with a static outhaul?

Jim

Jim,

I can't speak about the E28, but our 33 has the outhaul blocks attached internally near the gooseneck end of the boom. Nothing much is at the clew end. There are two blocks. One is attached via a 1-2 ft cable pennant to an eyestrap. The eyestrap is held in place by pop rivets through the underside wall of the boom. I drilled out the pop rivets and removed all the outhaul cables, blocks and lines. Re-assembly was the tough part. You need a skinny hand and arm to reposition the eyestrap while someone else reinserts pop rivets. It is tough to line it up, but it can be done. Make sure the eye of the cable is captured by the eyestrap before the rivets go back in!

BTW, I think it is a 4:1 outhaul purchase. The second block is basically adrift in the boom, but is captive between the lines and the cable which leads to the aft end of the boom around and up to the clew. I had my boom off the boat and on sawhorses to do all this (and painting).

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Jim,

I don't think you will have any issues when reefing. The only question is, can you get the foot of the sail tight enough for going upwind in a stiff breeze? Off the wind, you want the Outhaul loose so the sail has some shape, but upwind you want to tighten it up.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Jim,

This link is to Harken's website. I found it on another thread here titled, "Outhaul Modifications." Mine is not exactly like any of these, however. It is most like the 5:1, but with singles instead of the fiddle blocks, one with a becket. If I ever have mine apart again, I might upgrade to the 5:1.

http://www.harken.com/rigtips/outhaul.php

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Here are some pics from when I replaced all the blocks and lines on my internal outhaul and topping lift. Looking inside the boom is from the gooseneck end showing the cross bolt that one of the outhaul blocks and one end of the topping lift line attach to.

Outhaul_ 001s.jpgOuthaul_ 003s.jpgOuthaul_ 004s.jpgTopping_001s.jpg

It wasn't difficult at all to rebuild it. I don't recall, but I may have even increased the purchase on the outhaul by using two fiddle blocks instead of one single and one fiddle.

aquavit

Member II
When I purchased my 1990 E28, I had exactly the same issue with the outhaul jamming. I looked into the outboard end of the boom with a flashlight and could see that the two legs of rope that make up the 2:1 tackle had become wound up together. We simply pulled the outhaul out as far as we could and then twisted the end of the rope that exits near the front of the boom until all of the twist was gone. You will have to have the outhaul disconnected from the sail to do this and you will also have to twist the wire section at the same time but it only took us a couple of minutes to do at the dock and it has never happened again.

Glenn
Aquavit

montrosesal

Member I
Mark - thanks for the pictures! Makes me a little less worried about opening it up. Too many good sailing days lately - have been doing fine with shackle at end of boom but will open it up soon.

Jim

Here are some pics from when I replaced all the blocks and lines on my internal outhaul and topping lift. Looking inside the boom is from the gooseneck end showing the cross bolt that one of the outhaul blocks and one end of the topping lift line attach to.

View attachment 11129View attachment 11130View attachment 11131View attachment 11132

It wasn't difficult at all to rebuild it. I don't recall, but I may have even increased the purchase on the outhaul by using two fiddle blocks instead of one single and one fiddle.