Bow Rub Rail Cap for 1971 E27 wanted

Proud E-27 #101

I am looking for a Bow rub rail cap for my 1971 E-27 as mine is severely cracked and won't take a weld. If anyone has a source for parts or any ideas on a whole new direction, I am all ears! I have found what appears to be OEM rubber rail insert in Wilmington Ca if anyone needs a source for that. It is white and matches the existing rubber exactly other than the chalking and cracking. Let em know if you need contact information. Working on an exterior restoration and will post pictures of updates as I can. Thank you for any input!
Boat 19.jpg

Phil Adams

Member I
I had exactly the same problem on Trithena with the bow section & one of the transom fittings. Being based in the IOM I couldn't find anything remotely similar so I found the easiest solution was to remove the fittings and repair cracks with body filler, sand down, coat with fibreglass release agent and then lay up a couple of moulds. It only took a few hours and then once cured I created the new parts using the moulds. Once taken out of the mould it only took a little fettling up and a couple of coats of white paint and the job was done. Reproduction parts have been on a number of years now and are standing up well!

tenders

Innocent Bystander
There is a small market out there for people who want to make these things and sell them to others.

The fitting on my 32 is long gone unfortunately.

Good Old Boat published a how-to guide using a sand-filled flexible plastic pipe, filled with sand and heated in an oven to allow proper bending. but I've never gotten around to it.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Yes on the source for rubber insert, please. I'm only missing about a 10-inch piece, although from the white stains running down the side, I suppose I should replace it all. I thought I'd try rejuvenating it with armor-all or something.

Proud E-27 #101

UPDATE: rub rail replaced

I put the new rub rail on yesterday and thought I would attatch some berfore and after pictures. The new rub rail fit like a glove and was actually not hard to install, needed only a wide flat screwdriver, and an extra set of hands to preposition it to get it started. I layed the bottom edge in place, and pressed down on the top edge with the screwdriver and it went right in.

Boat 18.jpgBoat 14.jpgIMG-20120516-00356.jpg

gadangit

Member III
Wow, that looks great! Please pass along your source in Wilmington for the rubber when you get a moment.

Chris