• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wrapping the wheel ?

Sven

Seglare
Our steel wheel gets pretty cold when it is cool and you're not wearing gloves at the helm.

At first we thought of buying a leather wrap kit but it would be more fun to just wrap it in 3/16" line. A quick calculation says that we'd need about 60' of line to cover our 30" diameter wheel, a lot cheaper than leather and more personal attention to boot.

Brion Toss covers how to tie a three-legged Turks Head to cover the gaps where the spoke interrupts the hitches but other than that I haven't found much discussion anywhere about what to do or not do or if there are any tricks that make the job easier or make it come out better.

Maybe I'm just Googling the wrong words ?

-Sven

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
I recall an article in a sailing mag (Good Old Boat?) from a few years back in which they put down an adhesive like hot glue or maybe silicon around the rim of the wheel before wrapping. It held the line in place as the wraps were made and made for a more secure wrap when completed. Looks very cool when a nice wrap is done. Especially if you add a big turk's head knot to mark top dead center on the wheel. You might try to search GOB archives for an old article. I can't swear it was that mag, though.....just the most likely.

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Try "MARLINSPIKE" as that is the proper name for this type of rope work. be forewarned though that there are SO many projects that you will suddenly need to do! Edd

Blue Chip

Member III
Seriously??? I thought MARLINSPIKE was that thing on old wooden sailing ships that looked like a skinny roling pin that lines were attached to and/or hung on. Pirates of old used them as weapons, and sailors shangheid were knocked out with them before being kidnapped.

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
You should add THE MARLINSPIKE SAILOR by Harvey Garret Smith to your library. Mine is right next to an autographed copy of THE RIGGER'S APRENTICE by Brion Toss. Both are must haves for any serious rope work. The marlinspike Sailor will cover all the basics of decorative knot work and The Rigger's apprentice will make the rig stand up. You can spend a bunch of time searching for something to copy, or get the book and pick from a bunch of patterns with instructions and drawings of how to do them step by step. I love doing this type of thing and have done my companionway steps, handrails, support post, made rugs, covered bottles and fire extinguishers, and on and on with these pretty knots. I even made a spread for my mothers casket as she did not want any flowers killed for her funeral. It is time consuming but well worth the effort! Edd

Attachments

• lCA4WCLLP.jpg
    lCA4WCLLP.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 81
  • h.jpg
    h.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 68