• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

understanding the blogs feature

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I've tried to start using the "blog" feature, but not sure I understand quite how it works. I put in two entries yesterday, but the summary still says that I have 0 entries and 0 comments. Though it appears that Loren left a comment.
The FAQ page mentions that users have to "publish" their blog, but I haven't discovered a publish button. When viewing from the "my blog" window, but not the general blog window, there's a small "moderate" tab that brings up some options. Fooling around with that seems to indicate that I have 0 approved entries, but I don't have permission to approve my own entries.
Also, I don't see any way to respond to a comment?
Possibly I'm missing something obvious back at step one. :confused:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When I click on the Blogs icon, I see your blog entries near the top. "the dream of dawn" seems to be the title.

So if you are not seeing what you wrote, I wonder if it might (or might not) help to flush out some history data stuff in your browser, like your "cache" or delete a pile of "history" entries. (?) Sometimes in past years, I recall closing the browser and doing a restart to find all the newer entries in something or other I was doing on-line.

When you say "summary" what part are you referring to?
As to adding a comment, I see that little yellow pencil icon on the left under my own blog, and can click on it - "Leave Comment"
Do you see that?

Not sure if I'm helping or confusing...

:rolleyes:

Loren

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Perhaps you have some sort of administrator super-powers that allow you to see the posts. I can see them if I log in and go to "my blog," but if I get logged out, they disappear. It appears to me that they're in some sort of limbo state, awaiting "publishing" or "approval." I see the "leave comment" icon on other peoples posts, but not on mine. They also do not appear on the "recent posts" list.

There is an icon of a little green guy with a red "x" over his mouth by my posts, that has a mouse-over tag reading "moderated blog entry." I can click the "inline mod" link and "select unapproved posts" and it highlights both of my posts. Then down to the "moderation" link and select "approve post" and a box pops up that says "you do not have permission to approve posts."

OK, I can understand why someone would want to put a red x over my mouth, but I am not green :rolleyes:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ah so.
There must something in the Permissions part of all this that is stopping you.
Or, it's simply that you have to be logged in to read/access the blog part of the site.

(You are not also on that Federal Do Not Fly list by any chance, are you?) :0

I will ask Sean to take a look.

Hang in there.

Loren

ps and edit: I am always logged in when I go to the site presumably because I have my site id entered into my browser Autofill part or saved in my Cookie file folder in the Prefs part of the browser.

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Blogging - Like All Things - "In Moderation"

No - no - the issue is not with your account - the issue is that I have blogging set so all posts are moderated.

That simply means that I have to approve of each blog post (with the exception of Lorens, I think) because people keep trying to post all kinds of stuff in there that are really just items that should be in the forums and not the blogs (and I have to keep constantly deleting stuff in there that is "...not appropriate blogging content...".

I've approved your two entries - and of you're a blogger guy - you are more than welcome to blog regularly. I would love it if we could find some owners who enjoy writing enough to be regular contributors. Until I can get this figured out (how to get individuals past the check without knocking it down entirely) just send me an email when you make a post and I'll pop over to put it through.

Loren, let's chat back channel to see if there is not some way to ensure that you can see what I'm seeing as far as the blogging rights go....

//sse

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
One other thing...

Oh, and I was going to make a snarky comment on the No Fly List - but those guys have no sense of humor, and well, you know.... :nerd:

//sse

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Thanks Sean. It might be helpful if you revised the "sticky" thread about blogging. If it's anything like my e-commerce web site, sometimes the providers change the "features" without notice, and gradually the old "instructions" and FAQ's get out of date.

Anyway, I thought I'd post in one place observations, pictures, and a few questions as I refit my boat, instead of starting or tacking on to a hundred different threads. Is that within the scope of appropriate blogging material? And hopefully there will be some accounts of actual sailing again before too much longer.