• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Running rigging sizes

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I have looked at the Ericson specs for the running rigging on the 30+ and most of it calls for 3/8" line. I was wondering what others are using, especially for jib sheets and halyard, spinnaker sheets and halyard, and for main halyard.

My jib currently has 1/2" sheets which seem honkingly oversized. Although they are easy to handle they seem to be almost too large for the self-tailer jaws on the winches.

My jib and main halyards (wire-to-rope) appear to be original and also seem to be 1/2" or larger. This large size could be in part due to years of dirt impregnating the line. I have soaked them in fresh water and squeezed them out a few times but it doesn't seem to help much at their age.

I was thinking of replacing the jib sheets and possibly going to all-rope halyards.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There are several prior threads discussing sizing halyards and sheets, a change often precipitated by a changeover to all-rope.

When we replaced the old wire-to-rope halyards, we went with 5/16". This would still hold in the original clutches and would run freely through the sheaves at the mast head. I used T-900, a strong ultra low stretch line. (I did try some 3/8" because I got a deal on some, but it is a bit tight in those sheaves.
This is on an '88 boat with Kenyon spar.

Our sheets are 1/2" , IIRC. They could be a lot smaller for strength, but as you've found out already it's important to be able to grip them comfortably.

Loren

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Mark, we have 3/8" mainsail and headsail halyards, and they work fine in the winches. Our jib sheets are 1/2", but I think they are oversized. When we replace them, we'll go with 3/8"--we had them on a previous boat and they were fine to handle, are cheaper than 1/2" to buy, and will do fine in the winches.

Let us know what you decide, and how it works for you.

Frank

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Going down in size is definitely warranted with today's low stretch, high strength lines. But before you buy a halyard or sheet make sure you check your rope clutches, self tailers, etc. to ensure that a smaller line will still work in them. We went down in size to 5/16" on our jib halyard and th rope clutch won't grip that line any more.

P.S. I like the Samson XLS extra T which is a blend of the expensive high tech thread and the less expensive Dacron for halyards and sheets. No financial interest, just a happy customer.

Slick470

Member III
You can also use smaller lines, especially halyards, and have a rigger (or learn yourself) thicken up the line where it will go through the clutch by burying an additional layer of cover in that area. Also, you can splice thicker lines to thinner lines, or strip most of the cover off of some types of lines. The stripped cover trick is very common in low stretch spinnaker and genoa halyards.

Most of today's modern lines will handle the loads in much smaller sizes than before. You buy bigger because it either feels better in your hands to have a bigger line, or all your hardware is sized so that it won't handle the smaller lines.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I don't think the rope clutches are a problem as I believe they are rated for 1/4" to 1/2" line. I can just barely close the handles on the halyard clutches due to the swelling of the line with age. If the clutches were the smaller size, rated for 5/32" to 5/16", I don't think my current halyards would even fit in them.

Maybe 7/16" on the sheets and 3/8" on the halyards would be best.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I just ordered 100' of 3/8" for the jib sheets. I'll try it on one side and see how it feels. If it's good I'll cut the line in half and use it for both sides, if not I'll splice a shackle in and use it for the jib or main halyard.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Well, looks like 1/2" actually works best in the self-tailing winches. 3/8" is just barely gripped by the tailing jaws and can be made to slip. 7/16" is better but still doesn't jam into the jaws extremely well. I put the 1/2" lines back on today.