• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

H & L Marine Woodwork

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Has anyone done business with H & L Marine Woodwork? They recently made some custom cabinets and teak cockpit seat accents & a cockpit grate for a dock neighbor's Catalina 30. Top notch work! I met one of their Journeymen Caesar and he said he could get me a discount. Although all the wood on my boat is in pretty good shape, I just thought I would share the info here.

Caesar gave me a very nice black and white catalog, I bet if you called them they could mail you one.

They used to have a web site, but it looks like it's not valid anymore: http://H-lmarinewoodwork.com

Contact Info:
Caesar
H & L Marine Woodwork
2965 E. Harcourt St. Rancho Dominguze, CA 90221
(323) 636-1718 or (310) 638-8746, Fax (323) 636-1720

http://www.socalsail.com/bg/co/h-l-marine-woodwork-inc

MAP:
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?c...+&+L+Marine+Woodwork&cid=11132855163935649725

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Caesar and the crew at H&L are AWESOME!

They have incredible stocks of hard-to-find wood, and they do great work. Not only that, but Caesar has good finishing advice, and he's willing to moonlight and come to the boat for after hours or weekend work, if needed.

I drew up some dimensions for a teak fiddle rail and another trim piece, and I was amazed by their accuracy, speed, and best of all--the prices! I find myself browsing their scrap bins for odd sizes of teak for various projects. I pay about 5% of Worst Marine prices for similar hunks of wood.

Keep these guys in business, folks--use them!

-mark

Don Smith

Member II
Thumbs Up!

Jeff,

About three years ago I designed a three-drawer cabinet which they built. I'm happy with the result and price. If you're making something with drawers, try to design it so that one of their standard size drawers fit. It will save you a lot of money because their standard drawers are manufactured elsewhere, presumably not in the USA.

They're good craftmen but maybe not top businessmen because they haven't figured out that you're supposed to at least double the price if something is for a boat because it's, "marine grade", and and besides all boaters are rich and expect to pay a lot.

Captain Don
Gitana, E26

PS: Any interest in a Viking rendevous this Spring?

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Just for the record, H&L was the OEM for lots of wood parts for boats built in SoCal in the 1960s and 1970s, including our Ericsons. They are particularly useful for TILLERS and CABINETRY if and when you need a replacement that looks exactly like the original...because they made the originals.

Low tech: no website, and their catalog is photocopied, but they know their stuff inside and out.

unidiver

Member I
Jeff,

Was just visiting site to ask for SoCal teak work suggestion and stumbled upon your post. You must be clairvoyant! I purchased a 35 Mk3 6 months ago that was maintenance neglected for 10 or 15 years. Am just getting to the damaged woodwork in the interior. Bilge inspection panels are damaged and flooring in galley needs replacement. Also, previous owner had the cabinetry aft of refrigerator removed and microwave installed. Have removed microwave and want to restore cabinet. Hope the H&L guys remember the original design.

Thanks!

Jim Morgan
Green Flash / Oceanside

BTW, Know an easy way to remove glued in bungs?

unidiver

Member I
Rendevous

Schedule permitting, I'd be interested. What are you thinking...Avalon?

Jim Morgan
Green Flash E35Mk3 / Oceanside

Jeff,

About three years ago I designed a three-drawer cabinet which they built. I'm happy with the result and price. If you're making something with drawers, try to design it so that one of their standard size drawers fit. It will save you a lot of money because their standard drawers are manufactured elsewhere, presumably not in the USA.

They're good craftmen but maybe not top businessmen because they haven't figured out that you're supposed to at least double the price if something is for a boat because it's, "marine grade", and and besides all boaters are rich and expect to pay a lot.

Captain Don
Gitana, E26

PS: Any interest in a Viking rendevous this Spring?

vcmk

Is H&L Marine still in business? The number says it has been disconnected. If not, anyone have suggestions on where to get an OEM replacement teak trim piece for the coaming storage box? As well as a vented cabinet door to replace the solid one that gives access to under the galley sink? We have a 1990 Ericson 38.

Vanessa
Island Time, E38
Seattle, WA

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Is H&L Marine still in business? The number says it has been disconnected. If not, anyone have suggestions on where to get an OEM replacement teak trim piece for the coaming storage box? As well as a vented cabinet door to replace the solid one that gives access to under the galley sink? We have a 1990 Ericson 38.

Vanessa
Island Time, E38
Seattle, WA

Nope. They went out of business over a year ago.

Out in my area there is still Strataforest in Santa Ana, CA as a source of teak. And Minney's in Costa Mesa often has stuff turn up.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
The person I dealt with at H&L was Cora Tino, and the email addresses were h.lcora@yahoo.com and h.l@sbcglobal.net.

I wonder if Cora, or the people to whom those addresses belong now, might be able to point you to the people who did the work, perhaps Caesar is still moonlighting...???