• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bay Area sail lofts....looking for new sails.

jacksonkev

Member III
I sail a 1971 Ericson 29 in the San Francisco Bay with a couple partners. We're mostly day sailors...occasionally, we race in the beer can series but mainly sail around in the slot in all conditions. Our mainsail and head sail are old, blown out North Sails. Actually, really old, blown out North Sails. But they have served us well for many years (10 years) and probably another 5-10 for the previous owner. Now, we'd like to invest in a new set of sails. So, I'm in the process of researching our options. We went to Strictly Sail this past weekend and talked with Doyle, North and Pineapple...all were pleasant and nice to talk with. The price quotes were fairly similar for a similar set of sails on paper...$2800 for Doyle, $3400 for North and $3500 for Pineapple. These all reflected some kind of 'show special'.

Not that it really matters but we are looking at a 7oz. Dacron mainsail 2+2 with 2 reefs, insignia, numbers and a 7oz. 95% roller furling jib with UV protection, etc.

What I'm asking for is some feedback from sailors who know more about the differences between all of the lofts in the Bay Area. Are some sailmakers using better materials, do some offer better service, do some offer better value? We aren't looking to cheap out but we are also trying to keep the budget fairly reasonable as we just re-powered this spring and have some other projects on the calendar.

Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Kevin

ref_123

Member III
'Tis the way to start a lively discussion...

... since most everyone has a favorite sailmaker. So, cannot tell who is the best sailmaker, but can point out a great person to ask - Synthia Petroka, http://www.beatsmowingthelawn.com/. She was a rep for UK Sails for many years and is a great racer herself. She made three sails for us over 8 years, never tried to upsell and can help out with any boating problem whatsoever.

As for the sailmakers, I am afraid that Dacron is Dacron, no matter who cuts it, unless you go serious high-tech with laminates where each sailmaker seems to have their own special recipe. So, I'd rather stick with someone who measures well :).

Regards,
Stan

Blue Chip

Member III
We are in love with Sylvan (sp?) the UK guy in Grand Marina in Alameda. He is a member of a couple of America Cup races. Knows his stuff....and yes it's all about the measuring. Took a lot of time with us...came out for a ride after our sails were delivered and TOOK HIS TIME. No looking at his watch to get back to the dock, etc. We are very happy with him. Prices on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the highest quote we got...he was about a 7 1/2 or 8.

jacksonkev

Member III
Great!

... since most everyone has a favorite sailmaker. So, cannot tell who is the best sailmaker, but can point out a great person to ask - Synthia Petroka, http://www.beatsmowingthelawn.com/. She was a rep for UK Sails for many years and is a great racer herself. She made three sails for us over 8 years, never tried to upsell and can help out with any boating problem whatsoever.

As for the sailmakers, I am afraid that Dacron is Dacron, no matter who cuts it, unless you go serious high-tech with laminates where each sailmaker seems to have their own special recipe. So, I'd rather stick with someone who measures well :).

Regards,
Stan

Thanks Stan,

Funnily, we have a canvas project on the list as well...I'll be giving Synthia a call for that as well.

Cheers,

Kevin

jacksonkev

Member III
Thanks

We are in love with Sylvan (sp?) the UK guy in Grand Marina in Alameda. He is a member of a couple of America Cup races. Knows his stuff....and yes it's all about the measuring. Took a lot of time with us...came out for a ride after our sails were delivered and TOOK HIS TIME. No looking at his watch to get back to the dock, etc. We are very happy with him. Prices on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the highest quote we got...he was about a 7 1/2 or 8.

Thanks Blue Chip,

I'll add UK to our list.

Best,

Kevin