• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 Battery Bank Location

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
When I rebuilt this boat I thought it would be easiest to install the batteries in the empty engine compartment. However, when I splashed the boat I discovered it had a port lean, and in conjunction with the waterline which is too low means the topsides paint is slightly submerged, which will eventually cause trouble (if it hasn't already). I figure I can at least partially correct the port list by moving the batteries back under the starboard quarter berth. The original battery was loosely installed in a makeshift battery box and was completely useless. So I will need to rebuild this area. I have two 6V golf cart batteries and a 12V backup battery. So I am wondering how people have installed batteries in this area. If anyone has a description, or especially pictures of how the compartment is set up to receive batteries I would really appreciate hearing from you. Photos of the setup I have now and the port list.

Thanks!

Doug

001-1.jpg

boat148.jpg

Last edited:

Don Smith

Member II
Try the easy stuff first

Sometimes it doesn't take much of a shift in weight to affect trim. I'd start by rotating the aft battery 90 degrees and then moving both batteries to the starboard side of the engine compartment. This, along with moving some other things in the boat might be enough. If not, well, it isn't much work and didn't cost anything.

Good luck,

Captain Don
E26 Gitana

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Hmm... I had the opposite thought. Are the batteries really heavy enough to make that much difference? My e29 has a slight port list, but I've been assuming that's because I've been running with empty water and holding tanks on the starboard side. There's also more "fixed" gear on the port side and more empty storage lockers on the starboard. I've assumed that if I load it down for cruising, things will balance out.

In short: Add beer.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hmm... I had the opposite thought. Are the batteries really heavy enough to make that much difference? My e29 has a slight port list, but I've been assuming that's because I've been running with empty water and holding tanks on the starboard side. There's also more "fixed" gear on the port side and more empty storage lockers on the starboard. I've assumed that if I load it down for cruising, things will balance out.

In short: Add beer.

Nothing wrong with adding beer, as long as it's a decent microbrew...
:)

For instance our model had the common port list, and I "cured" it by changing out the starboard settee water tank from a 23 to a 38 gallon size. This totally levels the boat when the tank is full and pleases the Admiral who likes lots of water cooking and washing up.

LB

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Well the admiral wants them left as is, so that might be the answer! Easist option too!

Vagabond39

Member III
"When I rebuilt this boat I thought it would be easiest to install the batteries in the empty engine compartment. However, when I splashed the boat I discovered it had a port lean, and in conjunction with the waterline which is too low means the topsides paint is slightly submerged, which will eventually cause trouble (if it hasn't already). "
Are the two batteries heaver than the IRON sail that belonged in that space?

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
My battery bank (2 Trojan T125's @66lbs and 1 Trojan SCS200 @60 lbs) weighs about 200 pounds. With the 100 lb outboard hanging off the back its probably about the same overall weight.

Moving the battery bank outboard would move the weight up about 5 inches and out about a foot. When I lie in the quarterberth the boat trims about right. So it should be ok. I'm just debating how much work will be involved making a platform and moving the batteries.

Lawrence B. Lee

Member III
Just Curious

Holy Megawatt, Doug.

That's a ton of electriciy you are carrying. Are you running refrigeration? I am especially curious about the size #27 single battery. Is that for starting the outboard? How do you recharge that arsenal?

Larry Lee
Annabel Lee E 32-200
Savannah, GA

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
It's enough to run for three days to 50% charge with very little recharging. Since the outboard is the only charging source, and its minimal at best, I wanted to be able to take longer trips without having to worry about killing the batteries off. But yes, its overkill for day sailing! The group 27 battery is just a backup to the double 6V bank.