• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Thru Hulls and Bilge Questions

seajunkie

Member I
My E28 is still kind of new to me, so I still have a lot to learn about it.

A 1/2" plastic above the waterline on the starboard side thru-hull cracked off. I don't know that putting it back together the way I found it is the right way. The other plastic thru-hull is a 3/4".

The 1/2" thru-hull had what looked like a bronze cap fastened to it. It looks like a hole was drilled through the cap and there is a small bronze or copper tube inserted into the bronze cap. A small 3/8' or 1/4" hose was attached to tube it with a hose clamp. Water flows through this line and out the thru-hull. I think this is the anti-siphon line. Water flows out of it when the engine is running. Is there a reason that such a small line would go through such a large thru-hull? In the picture below the end of the small line is circled in green. I also have another tube that doesn't go anywhere. It is circled in red. The electric bilge exits out of the 3/4" thru hull to port of the green circle. I'm wondering if that other line is for another bilge pump somewhere and maybe it's supposed to go out of that larger thru-hull.

When I look in the bilge I have an electric bilge pump with the hose that exits the boat, but I have two other hoses. I have no idea where they go or what the box is that resides in the bilge. The documentation that came with the boat doesn't really detail this stuff. Does anyone have a picture or a description of how this is supposed to be set up? What is the big white accordion hose in the bilge for?

I have some pictures of what I have below.

Attachments

• IMG_1469b.jpg
    IMG_1469b.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1475b.jpg
    IMG_1475b.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1476.jpg
    IMG_1476.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 65

seajunkie

Member I
Thanks Loren. I can't find any thru hulls for the 1/4" hose. I have 2-3/4" bronze thru hulls that I can use for the bilge and possibly a second bilge pump. What did you use for the siphon?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks Loren. I can't find any thru hulls for the 1/4" hose. I have 2-3/4" bronze thru hulls that I can use for the bilge and possibly a second bilge pump. What did you use for the siphon?

That's the one size I could not easily source in SS, so I went with Forespar Marelon, as noted in the last pictures in that thread. It does not seem to have the UV problem that the unreinforced plastic parts do; should last 10 or more years with ease.

Note that one the King-designed hulls in the 80's, most of the above-water fittings are well under the aft curve of the hull where no one sees them except from low and astern, so whether you use bronze, ss, or marelon (or a mixture) may not be very relavent.
:nerd:

Loren

Last edited:

joe-fran

Member II
this and that

Seajunkie

I have a 1987 E-28. In your first picture you have an arrow and a 'What is this?'
On my boat if you remove the access cover that you pointed to, the electric bilge pump and the attached float switch are 'inside that white box'.
Also, inside is the pick up for the manual bilge pump (located in the cockpit - port side aft.
Open up that access plate and manually turn on your elec bilge pump and you should hear it pumping. Then test the float switch to see if it activates the pump properly. Then dump some water in the bilge (hold down the float switch) and test the manual bilge pump.

The thin water line that exits the stern above the waterline and pushes water continually when the engine is running is correct. I am not sure of the dimemsions of that water line nor the exit size. The hose to nowhere is a mystery to me.
You will just have to trace is back.

Good luck. I will be down at my boat in the next couple of weeks starting the spring work so let me know if I can answer any questions or take and pictures that may help you.

Joe

seajunkie

Member I
Joe, thanks for your reply. I have a rule bilge pump aft of that box in the bilge. I will have to look inside again, but the original pump might be gone. I must have 3 hoses in the bilge then. One original, one new, and one for the manual pump. I can only guess that the hose that doesn't exit the stern may go to the manual bilge pump or the original electric.

seajunkie

Member I
14" anti-siphon

Originally I thought that someone must have rigged up this fitting for the 1/4" siphon, but it looks like this is the way Ericson designed it.

They used this funky thing to attach a 1/4" hose to a 1/2 inch thru hull. I almost tossed it in the trash. Good thing I saved it because short of using a bunch of bronze step down fittings, this is the only thing that will work. It was originally fastened to a plastic thruhull, but I'm going to use bronze.

It took a couple of hours to clean all of the cracked plastic out of it.

qtr inch siphon thruhull.jpgqtr inch siphon thruhull2.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That looks familiar

Originally I thought that someone must have rigged up this fitting for the 1/4" siphon, but it looks like this is the way Ericson designed it.

They used this funky thing to attach a 1/4" hose to a 1/2 inch thru hull. I almost tossed it in the trash. Good thing I saved it because short of using a bunch of bronze step down fittings, this is the only thing that will work. It was originally fastened to a plastic thruhull, but I'm going to use bronze.

It took a couple of hours to clean all of the cracked plastic out of it.

View attachment 10871View attachment 10872

Yup. That looks like the fitting for the syphon break exit for our engine, too.

Loren