• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Foam thickness for E 27 cushions.

outahere

Member II
When we got our 1971 E 27, the previous owner did not have any cabin cushions. I have cut patterns for the shape of the cushions but don't know what the thickness of the cushions were. Were the seats and backs the same thickness? We are getting ready to get cushions made and any info would be greatly appreciated.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
On a previous boat (not an Ericson) it came with 4" cushions, and we could feel the wood underneath when sleeping. We increased the thickness to 5" when we had new cushions made, and it was much better. The kind and density of the foam also makes a difference, so it's worth talking to the experts to see what will work for you.

Another decision point is whether to make the underside of the cushions out of cloth or vinyl. I think the vinyl is more durable, easier to wipe clean, but it probably doesn't breathe the way cloth would. Others may have an opinion on this.

Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sit Down and Relax!

When we got our 1971 E 27, the previous owner did not have any cabin cushions. I have cut patterns for the shape of the cushions but don't know what the thickness of the cushions were. Were the seats and backs the same thickness? We are getting ready to get cushions made and any info would be greatly appreciated.

You did not ask, but then unrequested advice is all-too-common on the 'net!
:rolleyes:
Be sure that you make patterns for the cushion top as well as the bottom. They are seldom the same, and only one or two edges will usually be square. If you find a good marine or automotive upholsterer, they will be used to this kind of shape variety.

Back in the day, many builders would put in 3" cushions and charge a bit extra for 4" or 5". Backs would be less, i.e. 2 or 3". Seat backs, expecially when not used as fill-in bunk cushions, will often be an inch thinner anyway.

Nowadays I would put in at least 4" for seating/sleeping surfaces, and use the 2.6 density foam thruout. another way the OEM would save some $ was to use 1.8 density, but they flatten in a few short years. Our denser ones (@ 2.6) still sit and sleep fine without bottoming out a hip bone, and they have been there since '95.

Edit: I should add that all of our inner foam pieces have a layer of fluffy dacron wrapped around them to give them a reall "upholstered (fluffed) look. When you look at them nowadays, they are not flat with odd little wrinkles all over the tops like so many boats.

Cheers,
Loren

Last edited:

outahere

Member II
Thanks guys. We sure don't want to spend the $$$ and not be comfortable or have the cushions not hold up over the years.

We plan on Vinyl on the bottom for durability. I've heard some people add a thinner layer of memory foam over the main foam of the cushion for comfort while sleeping. Any advice on that?:egrin:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
4" high-density foam should be fine. If you are going to use it for sleeping I would opt for bottom fabric that can breathe. (Cushions are usually made with foam covered by a layer of batting material and then covered by the outer fabric cover.) The foam in my cushions is pretty much shot, so I cut a piece of 2" foam to put under the cushions in the quarter berth where I sleep. I found that my body heat at night will create condensation between that 2" foam and the fiberglass surface of the quarter berth. I guess I could put the foam on top of the cushions, but as Loren pointed out, I already cut it to fit the area of the surface of the quarter berth; by raising it up 4" it would be smaller than the top surface of the existing cushions. I am considering trying some kind of stiff mesh batting that will create an air pocket between the foam and fiberglass that hopefully would eliminate the condensation.

zube017

Member II
the foam

my 2 cents- go with 5" closed cell high density.
as far as fabric, stay away from vinyl- it doesnt breathe or dry out if it gets wet, as evidence on my cushions- mold growth on the cushions and especially on the vinyl.