• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Creative plumbing :-/

Sven

Seglare
I spent part of the weekend crawling around in the E23 lazarettes.

I was really surprised to find out that the cockpit drain went to a throughhull 4 or 5 feet from the stern. I'd assumed that it was a straight shot down from the drain, through the bottom. One more throughhull to worry about.

The other surprise was to find that the Lectrasan water intake was plumbed to that same throughhull under the cockpit. It is T'd off the hose from the cockpit. I suspect that the throughhull at the head that was the original intake siezed up. Definitely have to re-do that rube goldberg set-up since the 10 to 15 foot run of hose makes me very nervous.

I now know of 4 holes in the hull; 1 for a speed/distance log impeller, up under the v-berth, 2 at the head (one is sealed shut ?), and 1 under the cockpit.

Time to get some wood plugs strategically placed .

I hope I won't find any more surprises :)

-Sven

Bob in Va

Member III
Something else to keep you up nights

E23 owners are pretty universal in their condemnation of the cockpit drain situation. With no one on the boat, the cockpit floor is at about water level. With two or three, that changes, and when the boat is under way, it wants to squat some more. The existing drain is too small anyway, and many owners have added a thru-stern scupper or two, primarily to take care of an emergency such as the boat's being pooped. If you do that, make sure it is located high enough so that it is clear of the waterline when under way with people in the cockpit - remember, its purpose is to get rid of a large amount of water quickly, not drain the cockpit totally dry. It's nice to have that extra draining capacity when the boat is docked, too, as the stock drain is easily stopped with leaves, etc. If that happens and a heavy rain ensues, the water from your cockpit bathtub will eventually overflow into the cabin - not a pretty sight. There is a better solution waiting to be discovered, but I haven't stumbled across it yet.