E-32-2 Mast support

Rocky Point

Sinking mast

I have a 32-2 and the mast is sinking. I pulled the headliner and could not believe that they didnt at least use the bulkhead as a compression post. Has anyone had this happen and what can be done to repair it?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
If you do a search on this site you will find several posts about owners adding a support crosswise under the deck to provide additional support. It's not an uncommon problem on many older boats.
Good luck!
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"It's around here, somewhere..."

I tried a search with the words - mast base - got way too many hits, but then searching is not always my long suite. In this situation using Google to search the site might be more efficient.
Here's one from the first two pages of results, tho.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?9901-E32-2-mast-step-plate&referrerid=28

I believe that there are a number of others.

Somewhere around here is an excellent link to the rebuild of a mast step on E-31, and another link for an E-27.

The support for the inside of the E-32-2 is a special issue, AFAIK, and there should be some more links just for that.

It would be a kindness if an E-32-2 owner or two would find all those various links and reference them in a reply to this thread!
(Hint...)

Thanks much,
Loren

PDX

Member III
This is in answer to an earlier question (closed thread for some reason) concerning the E-32-2 mast support situation. As you know, the mast is supported by a compression beam. The beam is supported, in part but not completely by the bulkhead. Ericson devised a DIY fix involving an aluminum shim and reinforcement to the bulkhead's door jamb. I have attached it below.

compression repair.jpg

Matey

Member III
Sinking mast

Mr. Point ?

I think the answer might lie in .. how right a fix are you interested in doing ? I wasn't comfortable just adding a crutch, but I sail/race where it's a little windy. I'd pull the mast and grid out the area from below (it sounds like you're kind of there) and repair from underneath. If it's sunk, there is something wet or compromised.
The Ericson documents show a 1-1/2" x 13" laminated beam athwartships. Mine had no such beam. My mast didn't sink, but the headliner cracked fore and aft directly under it. When the area was ground out from below, we found the crack originated in holes for the mast wiring. But worse, that the area was filled with cabosil and some glass and ply only. It was ground out (mess), then bi axle glass and some layers of carbon fiber were layed up with Pro-Set Epoxy (super stuff) and the overhead refinished, then a brace was fabricated (which should be reasonable in Mexico) to allow the compression post to actually support the mast. Up top we added G10 and stainless collection plates in addition. It got pricey, but it's done properly now.
Fire away if you have any questions. Pictures are good ..

Regards, Greg

Pro-Set http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=1532&familyName=Pro-Set+Adhesives

Comp Post.jpg2 016.jpg1 003.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
threads now together

I am not sure how/why the original thread was "closed" to more entries. Oh well.
I opened it and combined it into this Maintenance thread since they belong together, IMHO.

Cheers,
Loren

Emerald

I tried a search with the words - mast base - got way too many hits, but then searching is not always my long suite. In this situation using Google to search the site might be more efficient.
Here's one from the first two pages of results, tho.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?9901-E32-2-mast-step-plate&referrerid=28

I believe that there are a number of others.

Somewhere around here is an excellent link to the rebuild of a mast step on E-31, and another link for an E-27.

The support for the inside of the E-32-2 is a special issue, AFAIK, and there should be some more links just for that.

It would be a kindness if an E-32-2 owner or two would find all those various links and reference them in a reply to this thread!
(Hint...)

Thanks much,
Loren

Hi Loren,

the E-31 mast step rebuild is on my site. Here's the direct link - hope it helps out some:

http://home.comcast.net/~independence31/core/looksbad.html

Matey

Member III
I'm glad David posted his fix. There is an excellent repair from above, and if the area sinking is just the step .. a good way to go. A picture of what you have with a straight edge highlighting the dip would help alot

Regards, Greg

PDX

Member III
I'm glad David posted his fix. There is an excellent repair from above, and if the area sinking is just the step .. a good way to go. A picture of what you have with a straight edge highlighting the dip would help alot

Regards, Greg

To clarify a little further, the E31 uses a different mast support system than the E32-2. The E31 uses a teak compression post. I haven't heard about compression post failures on the E31. In David's case the plywood above the cabintop, right at the step, got compressed.

The E32-2 on the other hand, in lieu of a compression post, uses a plywood compression beam. In theory the beam is supported by the bulkhead. In practice, failures have been common, hence the Ericson published work around. As far as the built up mast step, I'm not sure the E32-2 even has one. My boat (E-30 with same mast support arrangement) had only a half inch balsa sandwich above the compression beam. Mine was water soaked which made it impossible to know whether the balsa would have compressed in dry conditions.

windjunkee

Member III
We added a compression post under the mast when we added a hydraulic backstay adjustor on Voice of Reason. We just took an aluminum tube cut it to length and affixed a flange to either end. Then we used a hydraulic jack to lift the door jamb a bit and fitted the post in there. We had to modify the door a bit to accommodate the flange but it works great!

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E 32-2, Hull Number 134
Redondo Beach, CA