• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E39 Chainplate and steel beams

gadangit

Member III
Hello-
I've looked at other E39 pics and don't see this chainplate fitting on their decks (the one mid thigh on my shadow.) It obviously ties to the aft bulkhead, but what does it do?

Also, does the steel beam that runs under the bulkheads actually tab to the hull somewhere? I can only find it bolted to the bulkhead...

Just bought the boat, trying to get my head around things...

Thanks-
Boat 1-28-12 009.jpgBoat 1-28-12 002.jpgBoat 1-28-12 008.jpgChris

Guy Stevens

39 ?'s

The aft deck hold down plate, holds the deck down and prevents deck movement. It is necessary, some 39 owners have removed them in the past because they could not figure out what they did. Most of those 39's will have significant deck travel under sailing loads, and will show signs of deck delamination.

The steal plates connect the two forward bulkheads together and on some boats do attach to the hull, but on most did not. These are to prevent torsional stresses to the hull in the area just forward of the keel. The forward end of the keel forms a significant stress riser on most boats as the shape of the hull tube changes drastically in this area. Make sure yours is in good condition and that it is doing it's job well.

Guy
:)

gadangit

Member III
Thanks! But wait, there's more...

The above steel beam pic is from the aft bulkhead and appears to be in pretty good shape. The forward steel beam had "scaling" rust, per the surveyor. He couldn't put his brass hammer through the beam, watching him work he really tried hard, but he recommended that we put some sort of rust conversion chemical to stop the oxidation process. I find it hard to believe that it will strengthen the beam, but stopping the oxidation sounds like something I want to do. He mentioned a brand name, but can't recall what he said. Ever use this stuff?

Can you get those beams out without removing the one piece cabin sole?

Chris

tenders

Innocent Bystander
> He mentioned a brand name, but can't recall what he said. Ever use this stuff?

I bet it was Ospho. Available on Amazon and in some Ace hardware stores. There are many products that do the same thing, including a Rustoleum-branded one.