• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wanted: Ericson 31 Independence (Southern California or Mexico)

Controlled Jibe

Hello all,
My fiance and I are on the hunt for a boat to cruise in the Sea of Cortez next fall and perhaps beyond. We've made our 'short list' of sailboats that are strong coastal cruisers, between the 28-33' range, have protected (skeg or keel hung rudders) and are in our meager price range of 20K. The Ericson Independence is near the top of this list.

We're combing the obvious classified sites (YachtWorld, SailboatListings, Craigslist, etc) but were hoping to perhaps find someone who was 'thinking' of selling and hadn't quite made that next step - or to find someone that didn't want to do the Baja Bash back up the coast after the BaHaHa. If you know of anyone who may fit this bill we would love hearing from them. To find more information on us, our boat list and our plans feel free to visit our blog at www.controlledjibe.com. Thanks so much and thanks for reading this!

Thanks,
Katie, Mark and Wylie (the dog)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Read parts of your fun web site. Liked it! Good sense of humor and a cool dog.
:)
You folks ever sail on Flathead Lake? Back in the day, there was a small business somewhere in the area called, IIRC, "Quiet World of Bikology". I was selling Ranger 20's in Portland in 1980, and short Ranger dealer list included that interesting-sounding name...

Having been aboard a couple of E-31's, I agree that they have nice design features for your voyage.
If..... you get to wondering about expanding your target search a bit, you might want to put an Ericson 32-2 into the search pattern. It's a boat with a good reputation as a sea boat and there are a lot of them out there with newer diesel engines and other upgrades done.

Keep us posted, either here in the site Blog section or with links to your site.
Welcome to the group!

Cheers,
Loren
:egrin:

Last edited:

Controlled Jibe

Hi Loren,
Thanks for checking out the blog! It's been a fun way to share with our friends and family as well as solicit thoughts, comments and advice from sailors such as yourself. We're figuring things out as we go and are all ears to other trains of thought!
Yes, we currently have a Balboa 20 that we've sailed quite a bit on Flathead Lake. My family had a small cabin on the lake growing up and I consider that beautiful place somewhat of a second home. I have never heard of the Bikology business however...odd??
We were trying to stay away from spade rudders if possible and I believe the 32-2 fits in that category. We know that people sail around the world with them...and have read the pros and cons but still would like the security of a skeg or keel mounted rudder. As our 'leave' date draws closer we're starting a second, Plan B, boat list with those characteristics that we may have to compromise on to meet our budget and schedule. We'll likely add the 32-2 to this list. Thanks for the suggestion and reply!

Katie

Wysailer

Member II
Great Plans!

Controlled Jibe,

I have looked at you existing boat as one to downsize to that I could sail alone on inland lakes.
I hope you make your dreams come true as time will go by fast! I feel 20 but look my age at 53 - it happens all too fast.

Scott
E25cb