• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Increasing 35-2 Mainsail size

Dave N

Member III
I bought a new North 135 furler with the rope luff last summer. We had an unusually windy season. If I had it to do over, I'd go smaller. Actually, if I had it to do over, I'd get rid of the furler and go hank on with a couple of sails. I hate sailing to weather in a blow with a partially furled sail.

steven

Sustaining Member
re balance

I configure something like full main + 95% jib in 14kts (apparent), single reef +95% in 17kts, double reef+95% in 20+kts. In all cases, can sail to weather with two fingers on the helm (I have an E39 rudder and a 48" wheel, which I'm sure helps). Also can heave-to in all three configs (depending on wave conditions).

On my next new main, I'm going to consider Seth's comment, and think about a bigger roach.

--Steve

Commotion

Member II
Going to order new sails... Thinking fully battened... and larger

Nice to be following this thread... Light winds most of the time in So Cal. Planning on lowing the boom 10" from 7' in the cockpit to 6' 2". Mast is 41'10.5" off the house. Putting a very good used(like new) Selden RCB sail track on. Any help or comments appreciated.

Perhaps random, but, in the two E-35-2's that I can see here in Ventura, it looks odd with the boom 7' off the cockpit floor. It should also help in flaking the sail, yes?

Dave N

Member III
The flaking is a big part of my motivation. It is impossible for my wife to do it and it is very tuff for me in a sea.

alesnloggers

Just a quick update. Bulkheads are done and hope to have the chainplates installed tomorrow. Mast is being stepped on the 17th and then we can measure for new sails. With any luck it will all come together in time to go to NOOD in Seattle on May 18th. Interior might not be quite done but it'll be better than sleeping on the T-bird.

Farlander

Member II
considering new sails as well

I bumped this thread to see what the end results were. I'm likely buying a new mainsail within the next couple weeks and was wondering if a longer foot / bigger roach would perform better without sacrificing balance.

Also, I'm curious if anyone has descriptions (preferably pictures) of where they installed jib sheet blocks. The only blocks on deck are right out at the gunnels and I feel are not well suited for close hauled sailing. There are small eyelets with cam cleats on both cabin sides, but it looks like they would not survive long against the pull of a strong gust.

Thanks as always,

Commotion

Member II
Longer foot and larger roach

I bumped this thread to see what the end results were. I'm likely buying a new mainsail within the next couple weeks and was wondering if a longer foot / bigger roach would perform better without sacrificing balance.

Also, I'm curious if anyone has descriptions (preferably pictures) of where they installed jib sheet blocks. The only blocks on deck are right out at the gunnels and I feel are not well suited for close hauled sailing. There are small eyelets with cam cleats on both cabin sides, but it looks like they would not survive long against the pull of a strong gust.

Thanks as always,

I have a 1972 E35II and started from scratch on a complete refit. New Mainsail, Longer loose foot, five battens, (four battens are plenty, but the way my sail cars space out, it works better with 5 on my boat. My mast is the standard 40' tall above the house. (A tall rig option I set the boom to a height of 6'5'' off the cockpit floor. I took off the old outhaul setup and made my own. She trims out perfectly in 18 knots of wind... I can sail from Ventura to Anacapa Island without having to touch the helm. I did install a new Foss rudder. I think the rudder was a more important upgrade than the sail as the 35's were built with the 32's rudder and not a very good shape.

I think the eyelets and cam cleats on the cabin sides were most likely for a staysail (Cutter rig) setup. That was a common setup on that boat and was the same on mine. I took all of that off in the refit and just run as a a sloop. I am still hank on head sail, but, when the cash is there, I plan to install a good furler and new jib.

I have photos of all of this if you wish.

Attachments

• DSC_2082.jpg
    DSC_2082.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_2087.jpg
    DSC_2087.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMAG3561.jpg
    IMAG3561.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 27

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
>>right out at the gunnels and I feel are not well suited for close hauled sailing.

You can install padeye(s) on deck for an inboard genoa lead.

Much cheaper than a track with car system.

Two locations would do it--one for fully deployed genoa, another for, say, half deployed. A compromise, but effective.

You would place them anywhere along the line of later-model Ericson genoa tracks (that is, quite close to the cabin house).

track.JPG

Last edited: