• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Barient 27 winches

Sam Vickery

Member III
I'm having trouble finding parts for a barient 27 winch. Any leads on where I might find new or used replacement parts? I've tried the folks "down under" and they have not responded. Perhaps they are no longer in business?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sam

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
This may seem like a strange answer, but since Arco is not responding to you, try Harken. It just completed a trade-in program and I (and I am sure others) sent in my Barient 24's (Harken paid me $300 for each). It may be that Harken is going to junk them so you might be able to get parts. Try contacting Bonnie Colopy at bonniec@harken.com.

Last edited:

Bob in Va

Member III
Go to SailboatOwners.com and do an archive search. My memory tells me there was a comment in there not too long ago about an outfit that still stocks Barient and Barlow parts and rebuild kits.

clayton

Member III
Try a search here or at Sailnet archives. Or contact Cary Diehl, I'm sure he had posted info a while back for a company in the Detroit area that has parts. Good luck.
Clayton

sailingdeacon

Member III
What's the latest on getting Barient winch parts?

I am trying the above sources but does anyone really know of a US company that has parts? A J30 source named Glen Jasmer at 619-722 8277 but no such number now.

After looking again at my problem, I found that the three sizes of Barients on my Ericson (17, 21 and 27) all have the same bearings. So for now I have swapped out an underused 17 bearing for the 27. Still would like to know of a US supplier.

Last edited:

Sam Vickery

Member III
Barient Winch Replacement Parts

After several unanswered e-mails I called the Australian Yacht Winch Company (011 612 9623 2448). I spoke with Bruno who was very helpful. I ordered the parts I needed for the Barient 27 and the parts arrived in about a week. The e-mail attempt was a bit frustrating but if you would like to try it (winches@attglobal.net). I was unable to find a U.S. source. My solution was persistance as the "mates down under" seem to operate on a very different time schedule. Hope this is helpful.

Sam

sailingdeacon

Member III
After five days with no email response from the Australian company I was able to call Florida Riggers in Rivera Beach who shipped them out pronto even while trying to clean up from the hurricanes. And for less than the listed charge at Australia. I determine that the same bearings were used for my Barient 17, 24 and 27 on my boat. For the bearings I needed they had 30 left.

I had thought the email problem may be due to the web site's statement that one should not use their "form" but simply email. I did - with no response.

sailingdeacon

Member III
See my other post for answers

I finally got to the bottom of the problem see "proper way to mount winches" And always call Arco, never rely on emails.