Halyard line size?

Sam Vickery

Member III
It's time to replace the main halyard on my 1986 32-3. A friend has given me a great lenght (120') of high end, low stretch line that I would like to use. Before I have an eye splice put into the line and around a shackle I am wondering if the sheave at the top of the mast will accommodate this line. The line size is larger than 7/16" but smaller than 1/2". I am planning on sewing the end of the new line to end of the old line and pulling it throught. I would hate to lose it in the mast or stuck on the sheave. Does anyone know what size line the sheave will accept. Any helpful information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It's time to replace the main halyard on my 1986 32-3. A friend has given me a great lenght (120') of high end, low stretch line that I would like to use. Before I have an eye splice put into the line and around a shackle I am wondering if the sheave at the top of the mast will accommodate this line. The line size is larger than 7/16" but smaller than 1/2". I am planning on sewing the end of the new line to end of the old line and pulling it throught. I would hate to lose it in the mast or stuck on the sheave. Does anyone know what size line the sheave will accept. Any helpful information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

When I changed out the wire/rope for all-rope halyards in our Kenyon-masted '88, 3/8" was a darned snug fit and really almost too snug in those masthead sheaves.
Frankly, I would advise you to go with 5/16" no stretch like the ol' reliable T-900. Of course, I may be showing my age... there's likely something at that price point that has replaced T-900 in the market by now.

Loren

ps: remember that the masthead sheaves (and cheeks) were wide enough for the wire, but not too much more. The old rope tail was not expected to go through them.

Last edited:

bayhoss

Member III
I purchased a 7/16 halyard very, very cheap. The line was too large, you could feel it drag when it went thru the pulley. The real problem came with the splice. The tucked section was way too fat to go thru and prevented the main from being fully raised. I promptly changed it for 3/8. This is for a Kenyon mast on a 1986 e28, which probably is not that much different form your 32.

Best always,
Frank

Last edited:

Sam Vickery

Member III
Loren & Frank,

Thank you for your valuable imput. In my effort to be frugal (cheap) I was trying to use what I now know is a 10mm new england performance blend line. So it is time to buy a smaller line that will function better.

Thanks again,

Sam

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
In my effort to be frugal (cheap) I was trying to use what I now know is a 10mm new england performance blend line.

Sam - I don't know about 'frugal', but I have always admired 'cheap'. :)

I looked at the rigging chart and the halyard sizes for an 80s vintage 32 are the same as my 87 E-34. I have a 7/16" Sta-set X main halyard that is not a problem.

That said, 10 mm line is smaller than 7/16". It is much closer to 3/8" than 7/16".

I'd give it a try... nothing to lose but a splice.

BTW, if you don't want to try it I'll happily pay shipping costs plus a liter of rum to shift the cargo.

Glyn Judson

What ever happened to cargo shifting?

Tom & all, Funny that you'd use that phrase. Just yesterday I was thinking that it's been a long time since I've seen any cargo shifting of any sort going on between all of us. Glyn

CTOlsen

Member III
Halyard size

10 mm or 3/8" should be plenty to support your sails. I use 3/8 sta-set and have no problems. As Loren stated, T-900 is Great stuff- I used 1/4" for my Olson 30 halyards.
You also need to be concerned with your halyard clutches. Check the size (open, read the model, and look it up on-line) to make sure they will accommidate your new line size. If not, a clutch cam change may be required.
CTO

Sam Vickery

Member III
Halyard Replacement Completed

Replaced the old halyard with the mew 10mm line. Everything fits fine. The hardest part (not that difficult) was sewing the two lines together and whipping them (overkill I know). I wanted to share the positive end to the task. Thanks to all who supplied helpful suggestions. I could not resist taking her out yesterday after the task was completed.

Merry Christmas

Sam
86 32-3