E35-2 Assymetrical Spinnaker tack

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Hi all,

With the lighter fall wind, I'm finally considering using my assymetrical spinnaker that came with my new-to-me E35-2. I've looked over the sail and it looks to be in great shape. However, I can't figure out how the prior owner attached the tack of the assymetrical spinnaker to the bow. I've heard/read lots of ideas on how this could be done, but would love to see pictures of how other E35-2 owners go about this. Any help/ideas would be appreciated! Here are some pics of what my bow looks like. I'm suspecting that those clevis pins (with, perhaps, a tack pennant) had something to do with it, but it seems strange to attach anything there behind the forestay and furling drum (chafe and possibility of entanglement, etc...).

IMG00369-20111125-1509.jpgIMG00370-20111125-1510.jpgIMG00371-20111125-1510.jpg

Asym kite

The bottom of the asymmetrical chute I had made for my boat had a carabiner at the tack. The carabiner attached to the headstay. Then it had a line that ran from the carabiner, through a swivel block attached to the clevis pin at the stemhead fitting, and then back to the cockpit, where it terminated at a jam cleat. The reason for the line is so that as you sailed closer to the wind--my boat with do a close reach in light air with the chute up--you could tighten the luff of the sail. Off the wind, one eased the tack line and the chute filled fuller. The variation available was infinite. With roller furling, you will need a different arrangement. Additionally, because an asym does not tack, it gybes, the sheets need to be longer. My chute was so big that the sheets ran through blocks near the stern, at the very end of the track, and then forward to the winch.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Maybe he used one of these ATN Tacker arrangements:

Tacker.jpg

I have read that they are not ideal as the pressure they exert on the furler foil can deform it.