• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Carpet: yea or nay? And if yea, what kind? If nay, laminate maybe?

Andrew Means

Member III
I suppose this could go in the maintenance forum, but since the carpet issue is less about the technicalities of installation and more about actually living with the stuff, I figured here would be the place.

Firstly, about my boat - I own it with a couple other guys and we use it primarily for sailing around Seattle's Lake Union with lots of our friends, picking people up at the dock at the south end of the lake, or Ivar's or wherever, and generally having a lot of fun. We sail to the San Juans whenever possible, but we'll go out for a couple hours at the slightest provocation. As such it sees almost constant use in the summertime, and we use it a fair amount in the fall and winter as well. What I'm saying here is that beer/wine/whatever is often spilled in the cabin, and as such we haven't had carpet since a bottle of syrah was virtually emptied during a rousing game of poker one night.

That said, I did like the homey feel of carpet, and as the winter approaches and I'm planning on doing more overnight sails I'd like something soft under my feet when I wake up in the morning.

Those of you with carpet; how do you keep it clean? What kind do you recommend? I'm assuming white shag is out of the question.

oh, edit: I've seen some people put down laminate flooring, but I haven't really seen many that look particularly good; is this something anyone has done or recommends?

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Cheap Answer

Every few years, I toss out the patterned short-nap carpet piece that was last purchased on sale at Target or a similar outlet. These are rubber-backed so they don't slide around. Edges are bound -- just buy one that fits reasonably well. The rubber backing hardens and starts to crumble after a few years anyway.

Not much "investment" and very little loss when they progress to the dumpster.

"Poor folk have poor ways" as my dad used to say..........

:)

Loren

Don Smith

Member II
Boat carpet

Home Depot and similar stores have indoor/outdoor carpet on large rollers that they sell by the foot, and it's cheap! (Not marine grade, but it looks good and feels good on bare feet). I cut it to size and put it over some non-skid padding that I bought from a carpet store. No nails or glue, I simply place it on the varnished cabin sole and it stays in place.

When the carpet gets sand or other dry debris on it I shake it out over the transom. When it gets stained with adult beverage spills or grease, I replace it, usually at least twice a year, but it's cheap so who cares?

Hope this suggestion helps.

Captain Don
E26, Gitana

Andrew Means

Member III
Very good suggestions, I'm into them. I'll look into Home Despo stuff. I was thinking I could maybe start with butcher paper and use that to make a template and then I'd know exactly how much to buy...

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
You get what you pay for... and in this case it should be in the "disposable" cost range. with one good pattern a carpet knife and about 50$ you can "remodel" at will. Not too painful for the warmth and wear protection it provides! Edd

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Indoor / Outdoor Remnants Cheap!

You can also go to a Carpet Shop and ask if they have any indoor / outdoor remnants. I picked up enough to carpet my entire E-27 sole, as well as line the inside compartments of the V-berth for $20. I used the old carpet as a template that was cut to fit the cabin sole, including the head. Took it to a carpet shop and they sewed a nice hem around the new carpet, whole thing for $80. I had enough of the remnant left over to make a very durable scratching post for my two cat's. No the cat's do not live aboard. :)

Not sure what kind of indoor / outdoor remnant I got but its been very durable, It's a very neutral color and does not seem to show any stains ever. I have been able to pull it out of the boat, scrub it down and it's dry in only a few hours.

Attachments

• Carpet.jpg
    Carpet.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
My 35-2 took 2 5x8 throw rugs to do the whole thing with just 1 seam. And there was plenty to make throw rugs with. they were an indoor/ outdoor rug with a whipped edge all around. I ran the finished edge along the starboard sete and the seam. the raw edges curl up and are hidden under the nav station and dinette. the only visible raw edges are in the forward bunk.

steven

Sustaining Member
I use indoor/outdoor carpet (Home Depot) and replace every season. But thinking of one of those synthetic teaks. Anyone try that?

--Steve

hodo

Member III
We use the Throw rug option, from one of the box stores, on our 38. With 2 small furry critters, we use the potty pads, and understand that "throw works both ways, in and out. Let me be more specific, the pads are for the pups!

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
I have factory teak and holly--or laminate teak and holly. Whatever. The thought of carpet on that makes me cringe. Carpet in a sailboat??? Not for me. I'd rather wear pink fuzzy slippers.

Vagabond39

Member III
Pink Slippers for Emrald

Well as for the Pink slippers, I havn't seen any since I lived across the streeet from a shoe store worker.
However I do hav a roll of Ozite 100% polypropyline all purpose carpet.36" by 72". It came when I purchased a used boat, when I was much younger. It is like new. The paper label is intact, and the Cellophane wrapper only has one small hole in it. Just like when I received it and stuck in in the basement.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It's those Fuzzy Pink Ears....

Well, that'l liven up your next Ericson rendezvous...
Helmet with the Viking horns on top and fuzzy pink bunny slippers with the ears for your footwear! Ooooohhhh Yeah.
:rolleyes:

Admittedly, you'd have to wear all that 'n' more to beat the stylish "Viking outfit" that Glyn was wearing to perform an Ericson christening when he visited the rendezvous at Port Townsend a few years ago!
:egrin:

Except in cartoons, I had never before actually seen a Labrador retriever try to put his paws over his eyes to block out the sight!

(Sorry, Glyn, couldn't resist...)

Cheers,
Loren

Emerald

Not to get too far off topic here, but I've got a copy of that photo - wonder what it is worth to not post it? :devil: Glyn, you out there? :0

Andrew Means

Member III
I have factory teak and holly--or laminate teak and holly. Whatever. The thought of carpet on that makes me cringe. Carpet in a sailboat??? Not for me. I'd rather wear pink fuzzy slippers.

I would totally rather do teak and holly (laminate, probably) but at the moment the carpet we've got in there (super low-pile outdoor type) is working great and looking decent. I looked at how much it would cost to do teak and holly in my boat and my balls went right up inside me!