• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

problems with rudder control

OliveOyle

Member I
:boohoo: We are having intermitten problems with steering our E27. When we tack, we sometimes keep going in a circle like we over steered (but we know we haven't). Sometimes the boat is slow to respond, too. It's almost like the rudder isn't snug to the rudder post (my theory). Hubby has no theory, but wants to get this fixed so we don't look like fools spinning on our keel. PLEASE HELP!!!

Seth

Sustaining Partner
rudder rub

The first thing to do is when the boat is at rest, swing the tiller back and forth and see if the rudder movement directly matches what you are doing with no slop or play (there may be a little play at the tillerhead, though). You are looking to see if the rudder movement in the water matches what the rudder post is doing from in the cockpit. Do it quite vigorously to match high loading when sailing. You should be able to tell if the rudder blade is moving independently of the tiller.

Also check to see if there is any significant friction when you do this (at the dock)-to suggest the rudder is rubbing against the hull.

Let me know what you find (see my profile) and we can go from there.

Happy T-day!

Seth