• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Where is Overflow for Water Tank?

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
During a stellar sailing weekend with the Admiral, the fresh water system ran out. When we returned to the marina I filled the port water tank (very slowly). When it was full I found water on the cabin sole in front of the stove/sink area.

My question is the overflow? How did that water end up on the cabn floor?

Thanks for helping me.
Rick

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Do you have a foot pump at your Galley Sink?

The way my I-31 is plumbed I get a shot of overflow water coming from the Foot Pump/ spout at the Galley Sink when I fill my mid-ships' tank. It has a thruhull overflo adjacent to the Deck-Fill and that overflow will spout as well.
Last Spring after launch I was filling both tanks and at that time I wasn't getting any overflow at the mid-ships' tank thruhull, or just a dribble. Anticipated having to replace the vent line, started probing the outlet end with a thin piece of plastic and began getting bits of leaf debris. She had been on the Hard for 2 years with the last Winter spent in the Boat Shed/ Paint Shop. I poked and prodded while keeping up the pressure by continuing to fill the tank (again, overflow at the sink) and eventually a solid plug of rolled leaf material (not the smoking variety) popped out. Assumed some form of Insect had carried nesting material into the line? That was the best I could come up with and how I came to know about the secondary overflo at the Sink!

u079721

Contributing Partner
During a stellar sailing weekend with the Admiral, the fresh water system ran out. When we returned to the marina I filled the port water tank (very slowly). When it was full I found water on the cabin sole in front of the stove/sink area.

My question is the overflow? How did that water end up on the cabn floor?

Thanks for helping me.
Rick

Here is a photo of the galley sinks on a 32.

3676912_20110802092834_2_LARGE.jpg

The big center spigot is for the pressure water. One of the two narrow spigots on the port side sink is the foot sea water pump. The other two narrow spigots are the overflow/vents for the water tanks. They swivel pretty easily, and it's unfortunately pretty easy to have them turned so that the overflow will splash onto the counter top rather than into the sink - which of course means the water gets onto the cabin sole. Been there, done that, so I would bet the same thing happened to you.

Last edited:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Here is a photo of the galley sinks on a 32.

3676912_20110802092834_2_LARGE.jpg

The big center spigot is for the pressure water. One of the two narrow spigots on the port side sink is the foot sea water pump. The other two narrow spigots are the overflow/vents for the water tanks. They swivel pretty easily, and it's unfortunately pretty easy to have them turned so that the overflow will splash onto the counter top rather than into the sink - which of course means the water gets onto the cabin sole. Been there, done that, so I would bet the same thing happened to you.

Ahh ha! I'll bet you are right.

u079721

Contributing Partner
IF you have a deck vent what keeps bugs, deck water and sea water from entering your water tanks???

Nothing really. A screen can keep bugs out, but it also allows the vent to plug more easily. As for sea water, the only fix to to have the vent on the center line OR very high up on the topsides where it is always above the heeled-over waterline. That's one reason the internal vents that some of the Ericson models used was such a neat idea.

tadslc

Member III
Hey Rick,

I'm not sure about the 32-200 but on my 32-3 the water tank overflow vents into the sink in the head. If you don't open the petcock for the toilet/sink, the sink will fill up with water and overflow.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Hey Rick,

I'm not sure about the 32-200 but on my 32-3 the water tank overflow vents into the sink in the head. If you don't open the petcock for the toilet/sink, the sink will fill up with water and overflow.

Crazy! Hey Tad, lets raft up in Navare at Juana's. It should be about midway for us.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
On my E29 the vent is on the starboard side of the tank and goes across to the port locker and is up to the cockpit seat hight, no way to overflow. The tank is a tank top fill insted of a deck plate.