• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

i need a chain cog for my yacht specialties binnacle steering chain for 35ft 1970

fran

I need a chain cog for my Yacht Specialties binnacle steering chain for my 35 ft 1970 ericson. located in marina del rey calif...better to call me on my cell 310 487-0194 John Melville

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Regarding toothless cogs

If you do a Search on the site for words like "cog" and other steering-related terms, you will find relevant threads.

LB

jreddington

Member III
I assume you mean the steering sprocket.

Unfortunately, you've run into a tricky problem since Yachting Specialties is long out of business, there are no aftermarket replacements, and all old stock is long gone.

I had the same problem. I was very lucky that a member of this org sold me an old pedestal with an intact sprocket.

If the damaged tooth is not too bad, another option is to have a machine shop "smooth off" the damaged tooth. That was a "temporary" solution for a couple years.

I finally saw the obvious cause of the damage. Over time the steering bumper stop brackets had gotten bent back. This allowed the connectors between the chain and cable to come up and smack the sprocket. Replaced these brackets with angle iron. Actually I rep0laced the old aluminum brackets with stainless so they shouldn't bend again anytime soon.

Guy Stevens

Mc Master Carr

There are other sprockets available. Go to McMaster Carr, and you can find one that will work, you may have to have a key way cut into it. We have done this several times on different boats. There should be a post here somewhere by me that details which sprocket to use, I don't have that set of notes in front of me at the moment.

Thanks,
Guy
:)