• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1983 e381

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
I plan to drop my rudder this fall for repairs after I haul out. Does anyone know how much clearance I need under the rudder for removal?
Thanks in advance.

gregdettmer

Member I
I just did this on a 1981 E38 this past spring, it needs about 2'. Typically most blocks are not blocked that high off the ground. My boat was on gravel/dirt so I dug a hole under the rudder, until I had enough clearance to lower it. Did not weigh it but I woudl guess its about 80 pounds. Most of the weigh is in the stainless steel shaft, so it seems a bit top heavy once you have it out of the boat. it is much easy doing with two people.

Regards
Greg
1981 e38 Spirit Soul

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I had to do the same when I replaced the rudder on my E381. I'm guessing no more than 30" or so. Since I was replacing the old rudder I just cut the bottom off when I removed it. The new one I dug a hole for, as mentioned above. A word of caution, boatyard lots are compacted earth and crushed stone. When I dug the hole I needed a pickaxe, pointed shovel, PHD (post hole digger!), etc. to make any progress and still ended up with blisters. Looking back it would have been easier to just have the yard sling the boat for 5 minutes, and likely worth the coin and vertebral disks..... And yes, the rudder is heavier than you expect once out, top heavy as mentioned. Two people is a good idea. RT