• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Lewmar Opening Portlight Lens and Gasket replacements

gulfcoaster

Member III
It is time for me to replace my four lenses and gaskets on my 1987 Ericson 32-3. I can't get sufficient compression against the gasket to acheive a proper seal. I've read the topic feedback specifying standard size 1 w/part number. Any additional feedback on how to disassemble the hinges and separate the two latches would be appreciated. Addditional tips on removing and replacing the gaskets would be appreciated as well. I've delayed this project because I'm somewhat apprehensive to start something for fear of not finishing it correctly. One entry stated to install the gaskets in hot wx for flexibility. No problem here in Houston. I've been here for 31 yrs and this is the hottest summer on record. Any other 87's out there. We're #713. We have #710 in our marina as well. They were probably being "born" at the same time.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have observed a hatch rebuild, but have not seen a port rebuild.
Select Plastics seems to do the hatches pretty well, but I have not heard about replacement parts for the ports.
Have you looked over the Lewmar port rebuild article I uploaded some time ago?

(I sort of dread the day I have to re-lens or gasket all six of our opening ports.)
:rolleyes:

LB

Grizz

Grizz
"6 opening ports"?

Hhhhmmmm, your O-34 must have been a custom build, 'cuz there's only 5 opening ports on #109 (2 main cabin, 1 head, 2 aft 1/4 berth). Where's your 6th located? And hatches don't count!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Any old Port in a storm........

Hhhhmmmm, your O-34 must have been a custom build, 'cuz there's only 5 opening ports on #109 (2 main cabin, 1 head, 2 aft 1/4 berth). Where's your 6th located? And hatches don't count!

Oh darn, I was thinking of counting hatches, too!

I have hull #8 (aka #108), and have been aboard some other Olsons. Evidently the factory would put more ports in the aft cabin, as an option. I have seen one with two more "stock" ports facing into the cockpit footwell. That's where I added one more, many years ago. The port that faces to the rear, towards the T-shape part of the steering area appears to be standard on all the Olson 34's, and also similar models of aft-cabin 80's Ericsons, too.

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

ref_123

Member III
Opening ports

Those gaskets supposed to pop right out - they are held just by arrow-shaped "thingy" that sits tightly in the frame groove, so pull away! Also, before you throw gaskets away, you may want to try automotive rubber "restoration" products - in 2003 when we bought the boat I was under impression I'll need to replace them all shortly, but they are still with us 8 years later :).

I also had some luck polishing lenses with automotive polishing compaunds. Not that they look like new afterwards but good enough...

Regards,
Stan

gulfcoaster

Member III
Called Tom at Florida Rigging and ordered 2 gaskets and two lenses with the O rings. Gaskets were 14 dollars each and the lenses were 34 each. Standard size 1. I'll post my progress as it happens!!

Grizz

Grizz
Pic of 6th available?

Loren, as near as I can tell, waaaay back in time you added a 6th portlite to the aft 1/4 berth, facing the cockpit. Correct? If so, how has worked out for you? I can see my crew planting a foot through that portlite accidentally w/in a week of final installation. Perhaps you and yours are more conscientious.:) We sheared one of the 2 OEM inclinometers last week, with the other hanging by a thread, awaiting the same fate.:0 Just wondering if you believe the cost/effort was worth it.

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Lewmar Opening Ports

Gulfcoaster:

I replaced the gaskets from Lewmar 5 years ago......just make sure the arrow is in the correct direction when you put it in and use clear silicone in the slot.

The biggie is to replace all of the "o" rings in the latches, along with the ones for the hinges coating them with silicone grease......

So far no leaks......

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Loren, as near as I can tell, waaaay back in time you added a 6th portlite to the aft 1/4 berth, facing the cockpit. Correct? If so, how has worked out for you? I can see my crew planting a foot through that portlite accidentally w/in a week of final installation. Perhaps you and yours are more conscientious.:) We sheared one of the 2 OEM inclinometers last week, with the other hanging by a thread, awaiting the same fate.:0 Just wondering if you believe the cost/effort was worth it.

I should note that this added port is the newer Lewmar "standard opening" style with the two over-center clamp pieces to secure the bottom rather than the turn-button "cam" fitting on all of my older ones. Gasket is probably different, too.

The repair article for Lewmar ports posted on this site is for the older style that Ericson used in the 80's.

I did indeed add that second port facing inwards, for the aft cabin.
And yes, it's better to keep it closed and latched tight when rail down... so that no one sticks their foot into the opening! That aluminum frame would be hard on your ankle flesh....
:0

The rest of the time it adds a quantum extra amount of light and ventilation to the aft cabin.

BTW: Gotta ask, what inclinometer? Where at?

Best,
Loren