• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Asymmetric spinnaker

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I have an E32-3 and am considering selling my all red asymmetric spinnaker. It would come with the sheets, green and red for port and starboard, and the haul down line for the tack which all fit in it's own sail bag. It also is in an ATN Spinnaker Sleeve. All is in great shape. I torn it once, about 15", and had it professionally repaired by Quantum.

I'm considering selling it because my "crew" is usually my wife and I :Kissy: and it's getting too much for me to use although I like to fly it! :D Considering buying a whisker pole instead for down wind sailing. Looking here to see if there is any interest first before putting it up on Ebay. Don't have the sail dimensions or even the make handy but I can get them, along with some photos, if you're interested. It's on my E32-3 which is about 1-1/2 hours away in Annapolis, Md.

Akavishon

Member III
spin

Hey Bob, I am very interested, and it would likely fit my E32-3 like a glove ;)
Let's connect back channel ...
Zoran

C Masone

Perfect Storm
Just keep it

Unless you are strapped for cash, hang on to it. If you don't have it you will not be able to use it and it adds value to your boat when you sell.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Bob,

You might consider an asymmetrical furler like the Bamar - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LrZYadbbc4 . I hobbled one together out of eBay and Craigslist parts and absolutely love it. All of the handling is from the cockpit, no foredeck work. It's there when you want to deploy it and relatively easy to douse (I singlehand with it all the time). A friend got a CDI spinnaker furler and we could never get it to work - it does not have a cage to keep the continuous line on the drum. A whisker pole is still going to mean time on the foredeck. Here is a photo of the spinnaker furled;sailing stern.jpg

Akavishon

Member III
furler

Very nice setup! Alas, I would have to build a bowsprit first, there is no space for another furler right now ... not sure how that would look on an E32.

Most of my plans seem to coverge towards the "3B" conclusion (Buy Bigger Boat)
:egrin:

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Still going to sell it.

Hello all! Sorry for the delay in getting back to all of you who have responded to my posting about selling my Quantum Sail Design Group asymmetric spinnaker. Things have been a little busy for me @ home, work and on the boat with the passing of Irene. But the boat is still afloat and with no damage.

To respond to some of your postings, "no" I'm not strapped for cash. I just want to get the spinnaker off the boat since I've rarely used it even after taking a course on flying spinnakers. This past weekend I saw several short handed crews like us (husband and wife) struggling with their spinnakers and saw a few get tangled up. My feeling is that this sort of sail works best with a "proper" crew of three or four. A racing crew comes to mind. So it's off the boat now and sitting in my bedroom. It will come with the sailing bag and two sheets (red and green) with a snap shackle on each. I originally was going to also provide a down haul line but am keeping that to use as a fore guy with the whisker pole I'm going to buy. I've not measured the sail because it's been raining like crazy here and I can't find a proper place to lay it out but it does fit my E32. I can get the measurements for you if you want but you have to wait till things dry out around here.

In the meantime my wife reminded me that we did take some photos of the spinnaker while we were flying it. So I looked into our album archive and found some photos that I've posted here. I've not figured out a price yet but will come up with one if after you see the additional info I have are still interested. I'd rather sell the sail to another Ericson owner, especially one that owns a E-32 because I know it'll be a good fit. BTW - I didn't buy this sail. It came with the boat and didn't even know about it till after I bought the boat. The PO included it in the sail without listing it as part of the equipment!

Attachments

• Aspin1.jpg
    Aspin1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Aspin2.jpg
    Aspin2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 66
  • logo.jpg
    logo.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,022

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Sock

I almost forgot to mention that the spinnaker also is in a spinnaker sleeve or sock which is quite helpful. :egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I would highly recommend this to anyone with that size of Ericson...
We have a tri-radial that came with our boat. While I usually try to fly it with a helper or two, it is (nowadays) in an ATN sock and is quite easy to put up even single handed.

When the breeze is under 10 kts and you would rather not listen to the engine and would really like to keep some boat speed going, a flying sail is a wonderful solution.:)

Of course we have an AP to do the driving on those days, and most other days too.

Anyhow, best of luck in finding a new home for your sail.

Loren

Bolo

Contributing Partner
A price

Loren, Thanks for your words about the sail. It is "fun to fly" with the right amount of crew but like I said, I just don't feel comfortable using it when it's just my wife and I and she does get very nervous about me being injured or falling over board even though I always wear a life vest when I leave the cockpit. So, I'm a little sad about selling it but I think going to a whisker pole will be a better choice for me.

I did some on line research on prices for a new A sail and sock for an Ericson 32 and found that it comes in around $2000 or so. This sail has seen very little use and only been repair once professionally. It also comes with the sheets that have snap shackles and a nice sail bag that is also original.

So a fair price I think is $950 plus shipping and insurance. So if anyone is interested then contact me and we'll set things up!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
BTW, No slight intended....

Bob, I hope you know that I wasn't trying to lobby you to change your mind. Due to the general physical activity of dealing with a free-flying sail I certainly do not use ours as much as I would like, either.
Age is probably a factor. :rolleyes:

Regards,
Loren

Akavishon

Member III
Got the sail - thanks Bob!
Love it too ... now I'm one of the 'cool' crowd, I guess :cool:
Too bad the season is almost over, up here in the north-east :esad:

PICT0161.jpg

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Looks Good!

I just saw your reply and photo of my "olde" red a-sail on your boat. You sure stand out now when you fly it! :egrin:

Used the money you paid me for it to buy a whisker pole for "Vesper" but never got a chance to even use it before we winterized the boat. It'll have to wait till next year. Glad you enjoy your "new" a-sail and hope you have years of fun with it ahead. Take care!!

I have an E32-3 and am considering selling my all red asymmetric spinnaker. It would come with the sheets, green and red for port and starboard, and the haul down line for the tack which all fit in it's own sail bag. It also is in an ATN Spinnaker Sleeve. All is in great shape. I torn it once, about 15", and had it professionally repaired by Quantum.

I'm considering selling it because my "crew" is usually my wife and I :Kissy: and it's getting too much for me to use although I like to fly it! :D Considering buying a whisker pole instead for down wind sailing. Looking here to see if there is any interest first before putting it up on Ebay. Don't have the sail dimensions or even the make handy but I can get them, along with some photos, if you're interested. It's on my E32-3 which is about 1-1/2 hours away in Annapolis, Md.

How did you rig your tack line? Here is how I am rigging my tack line on Seascape (E32-3); minus the snap shackle on the tack block in he pictures, I settled on E#3 - Port Rope Clutch design. Links to the top-level folder for my tack line experiments:

Seascape Tack Line Rigging

Mike

Last edited:

Bolo

Contributing Partner
A straighter run

Michael, I was surprised to see your addition to this thread considering that I sold my A sail back in 2011 but I do remember how I rigged it. I had a much straighter run back to the cockpit with the tack line running along the outside of the port stanchions, through small blocks attached to them (like the furling line for the head sail) to almost the port jib sheet winch. I was able to adjust the track line (although I did very little of that after deploying the sail) while remaining behind the wheel. I also had an upside down "U" piece welded to the outside of the anchor roller on the port side to attach a snap shackle that the tack line ran through to the sail. It came off the second support on the bow pulpit, ran to just the portside of the headsail roller and then through the shackle. This setup kept my foredeck and port catwalk clear. I could use the port jib sheet winch (if it was open a the time) or the winch at the cabin top on the port side. But again, I rarely made adjustments. I tied off the tack line to the cleat near the winch.

I also noticed that you have a windless installed on the foredeck. I have just about all the parts and pieces to one that I bought mostly on eBay and am planning to install mine somewhat like yours. If you have any photos and/or suggestions for the installation my back and I would appreciate it. :)

Michael, I was surprised to see your addition to this thread considering that I sold my A sail back in 2011 but I do remember how I rigged it. I had a much straighter run back to the cockpit with the tack line running along the outside of the port stanchions, through small blocks attached to them (like the furling line for the head sail) to almost the port jib sheet winch. I was able to adjust the track line (although I did very little of that after deploying the sail) while remaining behind the wheel. I also had an upside down "U" piece welded to the outside of the anchor roller on the port side to attach a snap shackle that the tack line ran through to the sail. It came off the second support on the bow pulpit, ran to just the portside of the headsail roller and then through the shackle. This setup kept my foredeck and port catwalk clear. I could use the port jib sheet winch (if it was open a the time) or the winch at the cabin top on the port side. But again, I rarely made adjustments. I tied off the tack line to the cleat near the winch.

I also noticed that you have a windless installed on the foredeck. I have just about all the parts and pieces to one that I bought mostly on eBay and am planning to install mine somewhat like yours. If you have any photos and/or suggestions for the installation my back and I would appreciate it. :)

Hi Bob, well I was shotgunning my spinnaker questions to a few threads in the forum. I don't know of any other E32-3 owners in the SF Bay Area that race with a-kites. I didn't want to use the stanchions to take the tack line blocks because of the load on the line. Perhaps it's a different situation when cruising but a lot of the racing I do is in fairly high winds which puts stress on the boat, so I opted for a beefier tack line rigging to strong points on the boat.

I'l take some pictures of my windlass that extends down into the v-berth and post them here. My windlass its broken and would cost more to fix than a new one to buy and install. I am looking at this windlass and remote switch that's at West Marine:

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

and adding another foot switch on the foredeck for the down direction.

Here is a good picture of the foredeck showing my existing (broken) windlass and the foot switch used to raise the anchor:

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Windlass 1.jpg
    Windlass 1.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Windlass 2.jpg
    Windlass 2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Windlass 3.jpg
    Windlass 3.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 55