• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

An observation on light air trim

Bob in Va

Member III
Not long ago I was returning to our marina at night with my buddy Mark, his Ranger 23 right at an even match for my E23. Most of the wind had died and we were ghosting along on a broad reach, with barely enough breeze to fill the sails. I'm sure our speed was less than a knot most of that time, but I had turned off the knotmeter to save battery power and was judging mostly by the sound of the water along the hull - it was easy to tell even a slight increase in velocity, as the lake was quiet and very peaceful. It was a wonderful opportunity to play with sail adjustments, and I have always felt an inability to get the most out of the boat in those conditions. One change, more than any others, caused a noticeable increase in speed - physically lifting the boom a few inches, so that its weight did not dominate the shape the sail wanted to take in the less-than-light air that was present. As soon as I lifted the boom with my hand, freeing the leech, I could hear the boat accelerate (from about 0.4 to 0.6 or 0.8 kts) and we began to pull away from the Ranger. If I let the boom drop to its normal position, the speed reverted to its former level and the boats held their positions. We are talking about some pretty pitiful velocities here, but in a race an extra two tenths can make a significant difference. Needless to say, I'm ready to trade my rope vang for a rigid adjustable Garhauer. Comments from you seasoned racers?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A shapely sail is a good thing...

I learned that lesson racing small OD keelboats in the 70's. Also, when beating or reaching in very light air, sit on the low side to heel the boat -- this will keep more shape in the sails.

We learned to use the boom topping lift to raise the boom a little bit. Nowadays I have a rod vang (spring return type) and it does this same thing.

Light air is one of my favorite conditions in which to race -- a real chess game that rewards patience and study.

Best,

Loren in PDX