• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E26 mast length?

kelargo

I have a E26 (1985) and it needs a new mast. The original is gone.

Would there be any problems putting a 32' 9" mast on it?

The extrusion is 4" x 7" shape. I believe this mast is a little bit longer than the original.
I guess it can be cut down.. but I'm wondering it its ok to use this length?

thank you

New mast

Be sure you know that the sails you probably already have will fit your new dream mast. A taller rig and bigger sails will make your boat faster in light air, if that's most of what you sail in. But only you can answer that question. That combination will also make your boat less stable in higher winds, wouldn't it?

kelargo

"dream mast" ? .. "used, practical replacement" is a more apt description.. The mast could be cut down to be closer to the original length...

So I guess the correct question is perhaps "how much more unstable would it become?" And "Any problems using the original, smaller sails in this configuration?"

Just asking..

SurabyaKid

Member III
I don't know the exact height of the mast, so I looked up the rig dimensions and if I understand them correctly then the mast is actually a little short. My reasoning is that the "P" dimension for the E26-2 is 31.5' and this represents the distance from the top of the Boom to the highest point of the hoist (Black Band) . This would leave 15 inches (32.75'-31.5') from the base of the mast to the top of the boom assuming the sail was raised to the very top. In reality I don't think this would happen as I think there is about a 2-4 inch offset between the top of the sail hoist to the top of the mast.This would put the top of the boom about a foot or so (15-2 inches) off the deck. On my E26 (1988) there is considerably more distance than that.

Pat

SurabyaKid

Member III
I don't think safe is quite the right term.

If you are going to use the stock main sail size rather than having new smaller sails made, then the boom will be quite low to the deck (cabin top). As the boom comes back 3/4 of the way towards the end of the cockpit, it may present a challenge/hazzard during tacks and jibes. As the boom is controlled by the traveller and vang from cabintop and base of mast positions respectively, the block sizes, and angles of attack will likely be challenging as well.

if you elect to go with smaller main sail size to accomodate the same boom height off the cabin top, then these considerations go away, but you are likely to be then challenged by having less sail area, particularly in light wind areas.

You will probably also have to consider the Genoa size and placement of the forestay.

Pat

kelargo

cold feet

Ok, I got cold feet using the other mast.. so I'm specing out a replacement, equivalent OEM mast.

I believe this boat used a Kenyon 3656 mast. and the rigrite web site says the standard length is 33'9"
Can anyone confirm this is the correct length? The original mast is bent and measurements are not reliable due to its damage (34'-1")

Is there any problems substituting a Dwyer DM-560 ? No one at rigrite ever answers the phone.. so I cant ask them.

thank you

@Pat - do you know the location of the sailfeed on your mast? From the bottom of the tube to the bottom of the sailfeed?

Last edited:

SurabyaKid

Member III
My E26 mast is from Charleston Spars....Now Sparcraft. They have a location over in Charlotte and I have heard good things from the local sailors regarding their service. I would give them a try as they may have a direct replacement for you and would most likely have the dimensions you need.

http://www.sparcraft-us.com/

Pat

Ps: Std. disclaimer about having no affiliation with them.

SalteeBob

1988 E26 Mast

I thought I would post a bit of information regarding the 1988 E-26. I decided to convert it from deck step to pivoting mast step and couldn't find the mast model. After measuring it and checking the RigRite site I determined it was an NG-28 mast from Isomat. Hoping to be able to raise and lower it without the use of a crane.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Charleston Spars

They should know exactly what size the mast needs to be and where to locate the sheaves and attachment points. While you are at it, get a quote from Ballenger spars-ask for Buzz Ballenger.

Do not mess around with rig that cannot match the original sail dimensions-you are asking for trouble and you will devalue the boat.