• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fluid capacity for Hurth 50 Transmission

Boat Wake

Two quick questions if i may? I've been trying to locate a definitive answer to the question of what is the recommended fluid capacity for the Hurth HBW-50 transmission, which is behind my Universal M-25 on an E32. I have seen .29 quarts, .44 quarts, and 1.3 pints. Does anyone know for sure?

Also, does anyone happen to know if the fill-line on the transmission dip stick takes into account the installation angle of the engine/transmission or was it "cut" to read "full" only when perfectly level? I have this sneaking suspicion that some of the many Hurth 50 failures may have been caused by owners keeping the fluid level too low, when trying to match the fill mark on the dip stick if they have an angled installation. The fact that the dip stick is set aft in the transmission, you are very likely to get a high reading when the proper amount of fluid is added. This could potentially lead to the removal of some fluid to lower the level to match the "fill mark". Does this make sense to anyone?

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I have wondered the same thing about the angle of the transmission. I think it also makes it difficult to get all the fluid out if you have to remove it from the dipstick hole with a pump. I still have the removed fluid in the pump from the change I did last weekend and planned to measure it.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have wondered the same thing about the angle of the transmission. I think it also makes it difficult to get all the fluid out if you have to remove it from the dipstick hole with a pump. I still have the removed fluid in the pump from the change I did last weekend and planned to measure it.

Our boat was just in the yard last week for some prop maintenance. Just for fun we checked the shaft angle and it was about 7 degrees. Not enough to have an effect on fluid readings in that stubby little transmission, IMHO.
I wonder what the actual angle is in an E-32-3?

Loren

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My manual (Hurth HBW 50 transmission) shows .37 quarts or .35 liters.

That's 11.8 Fluid Oz. Interesting.

Oh well, we all just add until it's at the mark on the dip stick, anyhow.......
:rolleyes:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I just measured 6.5oz that were in the pump. So there may still be 2 or 3 oz. that I couldn't suck out. So +/- 10 oz. would seem right for the HBW50.

I have never (in three years) had any problems with my transmission, and it definitely looks like the original, so I will continue to fill to the line on the dipstick.

I don't think there is any way you could ever get 1.3 quarts into that transmission...

Last edited: