• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-25 cb bimini?

Dave N

Member III
here is one...

DSC01042 (1024x577)b.jpgDSC01044 (1024x577).jpgA friend has the bimini pictured on his 25. If you would like more detailed pics let me know.

.DSC00997-b (800x614).jpg

Last edited:

SurabyaKid

Member III
Speaking of Hot days....it has been exceptional here in the South this summer.

I had a bimini and connector piece installed this spring on my E26 and it has provided very welcome shade this summer. The bimini is slightly higher than the boom and has full standing headroom (for me at 6') underneath it. The gap between the bimini and the dodger allows very good visibility of the main and the genoa for trimming from the normal tiller helming spot in the cockpit.

Pat

Attachments

• DSC_0852.jpg
    DSC_0852.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:

davisr

Member III
Pat,

I really like your bimini/dodger set-up on your E26. Earlier in the week I was looking around at some old E25 threads and ran across some pictures that had been posted by others in what seems like the distant past. Thought I'd post them now to make it easier for everyone to access this information in one place. This is the first time I've used the new version of the Ericson website to upload pictures, so I hope they are formated correctly.

Regards,
Roscoe, E25cb #226

E25Bimini001AustinTexasEricsonForum2003.jpgE25Bimini002AustinTexasEricsonForum2003.jpgE25Bimini003AustinTexasEricsonForum2003.jpgE25BiminiFloridaEricsonForum2006.jpgE25BiminiFloridaSoup1438EricsonForum2005.jpg

SurabyaKid

Member III
Thanks Roscoe.

I worked with my canvas guy and came up with this design. My key criteria were to be able to see the sails and to not have straps which would be in the way. I probably gave up some overall shade because of these, but so far have always been able to find a shady spot to steer from.

I did end up doing a little retightening and rebedding of the stantions to support the Bimini after the initial installation. We had a thunderstorm come through the marina in late May that had gusts of 50+ and the dodger & bimini had no problems (even though the end of the docks broke loose!). I don't think I would trust it for a sustained blow, but I do have some confidence that it is pretty solid at this point.

Pat

davisr

Member III
Pat,

Yes, it certainly does look like quality construction. I have a follow-up question that will, I believe, benefit all E25 and E26 owners. This concerns your dodger. I notice that the aft-most portions of your dodger are pretty close to your winches. It would seem that this would interfere with your use of the winches, at least in terms of making full 360 degree turns with the handle. When I was thread hunting last week I also ran across some pictures of Steve Swann's dodger on his E25. You can see in the link provided by VolvoEricson above that Steve's dodger actually goes beyond the winches and includes cutouts for access to them. In one thread or another elsewhere Steve said that he was comfortable with this set-up, despite the limited turning radius with the winch handle. It really seems that for boats the size of the E25 and E26 there is not much of a choice. If you want the protection offered by a dodger, you must give full use of the winch. Is that your experience?

Regards,
Roscoe

E25DodgerSteveSwannLakeMeadEricsonForum2006.jpg

E25Dodger001SteveSwannIdahoEricsonForum2008.jpg

E25Dodger002SteveSwannIdahoEricsonForum2008.jpg

davisr

Member III
This cropped version of the picture of Steve's boat on Lake Mead gives a better view of what I'm talking about, especially if you click on the image. Hope this helps everyone. Thanks Steve for the great shots of your E25. With such striking backgrounds you could make some good jigsaw puzzles with those pictures.

Thanks,
Roscoe

SurabyaKid

Member III
Roscoe,

I've attached another picture which may help in visualizing the clearance between my dodger and the primary winches. As you can see I have plenty of clearance for the winch handle (Lewmar 8" one touch). Under the dodger for the secondary winches, I do have a clearance problem and can only winch inboard forwards and backwards. This has not been a problem as I normally sail using vang and traveler in combination with the mainsheet.

I do not have a sheet clearance problem with the dodger on the starboard side at all. On the port side, under some circumstances, I get the very slightest of sheet rubs against the dodger fabric, which I have solved with a leather rub strip on the trailing edge of the dodger. I only get the rub on the port side when I use the genoa track car system to move the cars all the way forward (reefed genny or downwind), which tends to move the angle of attack inboard. This is because the port side winch winds to the inboard side while the starboard side winds to the outboard. The change to self tailing winches did exagerate the clerances on both sides due to the slighty larger drums.....given the joys of the self tailers, this was an easy tradeoff to put the leather strip in.

The dodger was in place when I bought the boat. 2 years ago to save some costs, I traded labor with a dockmate who built the same style replacement shown in the pictures for me. If I were to do it all over again, I would probably switch to a California style dodger which would eliminate the sides and front plastic/glass, unless they were specifically snapped into place. That design would seem to eliminate the trade-offs I have seen.

Pat

Attachments

• DSC_0838.jpg
    DSC_0838.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 316

davisr

Member III
Pat,

Thanks for the additional picture and information. That helps a lot. Do you also have a picture (taken within the cockpit) of the area around the companionway hatch? I can sort of see into that space in the first picture. There must, though, be some issues with perspective. It looks like the companionway hatch, in the closed position, is touching the forward edge of the dodger. In other words, it looks like there is no room for it to slide open. Likewise, in the second picture, the space for movement seems to be lacking.

Appreciate your insights,
Roscoe

SurabyaKid

Member III
Roscoe,

The picture below was taken last fall before the installation of the Bimini. The dodger attaches in between the edge of the companionway seahood and the traveller. There is no problem opening the hatch full open to the edge of the seahood. I think the bit of blue you saw in the first picture is my blue hatchboard bag on top of the hatch....so it appeared to be part of the dodger.

Pat

Attachments

• DSC_0836.jpg
    DSC_0836.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:

davisr

Member III
Pat,

It all makes much better sense now. It was actually the second picture that was the more confusing of the two. In that picture it looked as if the forward edge of the dodger was snapped onto your white deck. It was hard (and still is hard) to see a sea hood there, I guess since it's the same color as the deck. A really beautiful step-up you have there, especially with that bimini now in place.

Thanks again,
Roscoe

Dave N

Member III
a few more pics of Europa

note the simplicity of the install and location of the boom.

.DSC01036 (1024x572)b.jpgDSC01037 (1024x500)b.jpgDSC01038 (1024x557)b.jpgDSC01039 (1024x577)b.jpgDSC01040 (1024x537)b.jpg

Last edited:

davisr

Member III
Pat,

I have a follow-up question that would be pertinent for any E25 or E26 owner who might be contemplating the installation of a dodger that resembles your own. The factory original mid-boom mainsheet on the E25 (and I suppose the E26 as well) is rigged with fiddle block (with a becket and cam cleat) facing aft. The mainsheet, therefore, hangs in and around the companionway. With a dodger in place, it seems that it would be difficult to use the mainsheet, since the window on the front dodger would limit the frequent necessary movement of the sheet in and out of the cam cleat.

It's somewhat difficult to see, but it appears from one of your pictures that you re-rigged your mainsheet blocks to accommodate your dodger. Is that the case?

Thanks,
Roscoe

P.S. To assist everyone with my description, I've attached a picture of my mainsheet system (and also one from another E25 owner who posted a picture back in 2009). Thanks Stephan for the use of your photo.

Attachments

• E25MainSheet001.jpg
    E25MainSheet001.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 71
  • E25MainSheetStephan2009.jpg
    E25MainSheetStephan2009.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 74

SurabyaKid

Member III
Hi Roscoe,

I don't know for an absolute fact, but I have seen several of the last generation E26's like my own and all had the main sheet led forward along the boom and then back to the cockpit on the starboard side of the cabin top.

I did make changes to the type of cleat used on the traveler and mainsheet from cam cleats to spinlock type. I find that the positive action of cleating and uncleating on the spinlocks to be much easier than cam cleats, particularly if the cams are loaded up. Spinlocks do add a bit of extra friction that cam style cleats don't have, but so far I have not found that to be a problem. For the traveler, I can just unzip the center window zippers a bit to have full control of the spinlocks without having to unzip and unbutton the window all the way.

A couple of pictures of the traveler spinlocks and traveler with main sheet blocks are below. These pictures might give you a little more perspective on the attachment of the dodger to the seahood as well.

Pat

Attachments

• DSC_0851.jpg
    DSC_0851.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Traveler Detail.jpg
    Traveler Detail.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 69