• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Filling the Fresh Water Tanks?

tadslc

Member III
Is there a trick to filling the fresh water tanks? I'm almost embarrassed too ask, a pretty basic operation that I've done numerous times but this weekend I think I figured that I either can't fill them to anywhere near their capacity or I'm not able to completely pump out their contents.

Decided to clean out my water system this weekend using bleach and during the numerous fillings and pumping outs, something just didn't seem right. I was either filling the tanks awfully fast (No) or my fresh water pump was pumping it out quickly (again No). Knowing this isn't rocket science, I've gone over every scenario that I can think of but I haven't come up with the answer.

I have 3 tanks, and each behaved in the same manner. Stock Ericson fresh water setup with the exception that I added a water filter a couple years ago. (bought from Lowe's)

Tank vent seems to be working fine

OK guys, what am I missing?

Thanks-

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Hi Tad,

My experience has been that it seems alot like the water tank on my motorhome where the trick is to be sure the water hose you are using to fill is not on full blast.

Not a trickle but fill the tank slowly.

Rick

P.S. Looking forward to crusing over to choctawhatchee bay one of these days.

pick

Member II
I have a similar problem with my forward tank. I think that somehow water gets into the vent hose ( which goes down and then up) and blocks air from escaping. I've tried to blow air through the vent in the head in an attempt to clear it. What seems to work best is to run the water in slow enough so air can come up the fill hose. Too fast and a blockage develops there I think. Rerouting the vent hose is on the list:) The two side tanks don't have the problem.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Tad,

Do you have a clean out port on top of the tank? If so, take it off and observe inside as you are filling, then as you are pumping. See anything amiss? Is the tank full or mostly empty? Will the tank fill better with the port off? It still sounds like a clogged vent to me. If so, the open port will act as the vent and you will fill and pump OK. Then you can look for the clog in the system.

tadslc

Member III
it makes sense that it could be vent related but I can't figure out why.

I put water in the filler and when "full" the excess water comes out the vent into the head sink. Until that point I can hear gurgling and such coming from the vent.

Any other ideas?

Perplexed,

bknight365

Member I
it makes sense that it could be vent related but I can't figure out why.

I put water in the filler and when "full" the excess water comes out the vent into the head sink. Until that point I can hear gurgling and such coming from the vent.

Any other ideas?

Perplexed,

Tad, thank you. For the life of me I couldn't figure out what the spout in the head sink was for. (I guessed it was a previous owner's addition of a foot pump faucet and he never got around to the "pump" part)

I suffer the same issue of seemingly very low fresh water tankage, but I haven't looked into it yet (new owner of a 32-3, #660).

Ben

Odelay

Member II
Im resurrecting this thread. Haha

I have found that opening all the caps on all three tanks on the decks to help vent. And opening all valves under the kitchen sink, and then starting to fill with the front tank works best.

I think the water flows through to mostly fill all the tanks from the forward fill port.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
it's always better to add to an existing thread on the subject, no matter how old, than start a new one. Thanks!