• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E39b

Lew Decker

Member III
I just looked at the pictures of the split hull on the E39 that circumnavigated - They are sobering, to say the least - I was curious whether anyone had ever come up with an explanation for the hull cracks, or was it a case of thrashing a boat not designed for such a heavy beating? I know these boats were raced successfully and appear to be well built, but I am off today to look at a local E39B for a possible purchase - After seeing those pictures, I feel sick inside - Is anyone else out there concerned over Ericon's reputation as a yacht builder? I would like to read your thoughts on the matter since the temperature of my feet has dropped into negative numbers--------Lew in San Diego

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Huge article a month or so back in Lat. 38. Also some good commentary on this list -- do a search.

"search" icon is on upper right of the page.

Loren

Seth

Sustaining Partner
E39

FWIW, I think that although the Ericsons are very well built-they were not intended really as "world cruisers". This does not mean they are any less desireable-they are excellent for what they were built for.
Having said that, in my opinion, the hull failure was a one time thing and is not representative of the construction quality. I believe that particular boat may have had a sub-standard layup (it happens).

Possibly not ideal, but a well equipped and prepared 39 or 39B is a very suitable offshore cruiser-especially Mexico/South Pacific.

The North Atlantic (where the failure happened) is another story, but if handled correctly these boats will do the job.

Seth

boatboy

Inactive Member
We purchased our 39B about a month ago. So far her hull is still in one piece. We're keeping our fingers crossed that it stays that way.

I would also say that we continue to be thrilled with her overall. We are a couple that is living aboard and sail quite often. Our general sailing area is the San Francisco Bay and nearby coastal waters. We will also probably be doing some sort of Mexico/Hawaii trip in the not too dostant future.

We did immediately do a hual out to fix some play that was in the rudder, and do a complete bottom job. Lots of blisters that needed to be dried out and fixed. We are very glad that that job is now behind us.

Lew Decker

Member III
Thanks

I looked at the E39B today, a very fine boat for its age - There were no salesmen around and I got to chat with the owner - I brought up the hull failure issue but he could shed no light as to the cause - We both thought there must have been a collision at some point regardless of what was said on the web page - I once rolled a Gulfstar 37 over on its top when we were hit by a rogue wave at night - That Gulfstar popped back upright with nothing more than floating floorboards and a torn away stern rail - All the bulkheads were intact as was the rig - After we pumped the boat dry the only evidence it had capsized was the mangled stern rail, a broken VHF antenna at the masthead, and a million tiny salt crystals that coated the interior - Gulfstars weren't built by Nautor, but that one stayed together - Maybe another 37 might not have - Anyway, thanks for the response - I'm still thinking about the E39B-------Lew in San Diego

Sam Clemens

Member I
e-39

Hi
I bought a e39 fd in August since then I did tons of work and sailed it several times in puget sound.
It was a daysailor and we now live aboard, lots of additions.

I'm impressed with the boat because the way it can sail in lighter air. I have passed a lot of lighter boats that are fast light air boats especially when sailing closehauled.

I also noticed there is no worry of it staying in irons, if it is moving at all it won't go in irons, it tacks great.
I wanted something I could sail in the open ocean as I grew up in Half Moon Bay CA. and sailed smaller boats along the coast and will probably sail to Monterey.

I wouldn't worry about the hull on the e39 it was made to race accross the ocean and was made to sail to the max.

I agree with you somethings not right with the hull cracks, I think it is possible it hit something or went aground.

One thing my e-39 doesn't do well is back up , it's awfull it goes one way or the other.

My wife and I are delighted in our choice of boats we looked at boats for over a year and ended up going to Marina Del Rey to buy this one and had it shipped to Blaine Wa. it was worth it.

Needless to say I vote buy it if if it surveys good.

Sam

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Old-time revival

of a long-lost thread.

As a result of a recent posting that I cannot find in my current haste, here is more background information, I think (it's of the correct vintage), about a 39B round-the-world veteran that showed up one day at a boatyard in paradise with a split hull. In one of the next few postings from the circumnavigation progress reports, he offers to discuss details of the repair engineering. He/They apparently communicated with Bruce King at the time.

Maverick damage report

Damage & Repair photos

Their travelogue is pretty fun reading, anyway.

Cheers,

Last edited:

trucknrn

Member I
I have a 39e and looking at my hull,splitting is far from my mind what I did read on one was it had been demasted then cracked later an that is not the fault of the boat rather a very fool hardy person bent on winning at any cost.

Dick Roy
Partnership 39E

Guy Stevens

Not the boat

There were a lot of contributing factors to this incident, I have most of the information that is available stored in grey storage. Any number of the factors were interesting. There was an offer at the time to take the broken section into a professional mechanics and physics lab at the University of Washington free of charge in order to asses the actual cause for sure, but the owners were not interested.

I have surveyed a ton of these vessels and have never seen any signs of another doing this. Also I took mine where few yachts go, into about as thick of it as anyone would ever want to go, (I know I don't ever want to do the southern ocean again!). The boat held up wonderfully.

Guy
:)