• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Serpentine Belt Kit For M-25's - Any Interest?

Maine Sail

Member III
Serpentine Pulley Kit For M-25's - Any Interest?

Hi All,

I am working with a company called Electromaax to try and source a serpentine belt kit for the Universal M-25 & M-25 XPB diesel's. Electromaax builds high quality heavy duty alternators, wind gens and water makers and also has serpentine kits for many engines, but as of yet, not the M-25 or M-25 XPB.

This kit would drastically limit belt dusting and allow significantly larger alts for those with banks that can take the current, like AGM or GEL battery owners.

As many of you M-25 owners know the factory belt is really limited to 80-85 +/- amps due to the belt size and with a serpentine kit an alt of 160 amps or more is possible. If you have AGM's or a large bank of wets this means a LOT less engine run time to replenish the Ah's used. Even a bank of four flooded T-105's can take more current than you can produce with the stock belt on an M-25.

Electromaax is willing to manufacture this kit, though they are not completely in-expensive, but they are looking for feedback as to who might want one before spending the time to design them and manufacture them..

If you have interest in a serpentine kit for an M-25 please email John at:

jstevens AT electromaax DOT com

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Flat Belts

A link to this earlier thread on the serpentine belt subject would seem appropriate at this point.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...ding-from-V-belts-to-Serpentine&referrerid=28

A site search will turn up other related threads, also.

I like the idea. Way cool indeed.
Only limiting factor in the market is that an increasing number of owners of many boats built in the 80's will be choosing to upgrade their whole drive train in the years ahead, as they start to compare the cost of rebuilds and improvements to simply replacing the whole nine yards.
I say this because, in the last four years, about four owners of boats in the mid-30's range in our little YC have swapped out their old aux for new Betamarines. The replaced engines ranged from Volvo to Yanmar to Universal.

We have the common M25XP with the Moto 50 (55?) amp alternator, BTW.

Best,
Loren

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Funny, I was just looking at the ElectroMaax website yesterday. The alternator on my M18 looks original, so I imagine it will need replacing sooner rather than later. The ElectroMaax alternators looked nice.

I believe the M25XPB is still a currently available model (from Westerbeke), so it would seem logical to design a more efficient pulley system for it.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I can report that my custom serpentine setup that is shown in the link Loren posted is working very well. Very light belt dust, almost nothing and IIRC, I'm still running the first belt I put on it? Was it worth the money? Yes! If you are running an older engine you might have to go custom like I did but its nice to see suppliers offering complete kits now. Still pricey but whats not these days? RT

jsnaulty

Member II
very interested

I would be very interested in such a belt- I am tired of belt dust all over the engine compartmenty and am constantly replacing belts. the PO put a bigger alternator on but didn't change either the mounting bracket (which i understand can catastrophically fail) or the belt. a must do ASAP

steve naulty
the one with the E35-3 with factory teak decks (just found another one on yachtworld- a duplicate of mine - they're largely glued down)"anodyne"

galesville MD

Maine Sail

Member III
I would be very interested in such a belt- I am tired of belt dust all over the engine compartmenty and am constantly replacing belts. the PO put a bigger alternator on but didn't change either the mounting bracket (which i understand can catastrophically fail) or the belt. a must do ASAP

steve naulty
the one with the E35-3 with factory teak decks (just found another one on yachtworld- a duplicate of mine - they're largely glued down)"anodyne"

galesville MD
i

If you're interested please email John at Electromaax and let him know. Before he begins production he wants to get a feeler for interested parties.

jstevens AT electromaax DOT com

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
M25XP kit now avail.

I was at the Seattle Boat Show today and spoke to a rep for this company at their booth.
They now do indeed have a kit for the Universal M25XP.
They also have a kit for one of the larger Universals, but I did not take note of the model.
http://www.cruiserowaterandpower.com/Serpentine_Pulley_Kits.html

The web page seems a bit behind their signage at their booth, informationally.

Best to just contact them by email if more info is wanted.

Loren