• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E 32-200 '88 Sail Plan Dimensions + Sailmaker Recommendations Appreciated

Daniel Green

Time to replace sails. Does anyone know whether the 32-200 has the Mk3 Tall Rig or the same as the 333?
Does anyone have experience ordering replacement sails online?
I am specifically looking for the specifications for 100% and 135% roller-furling headsails, but additional sail info also appreciated.
Finally, if someone is interested in purchasing a 1/4 share, let me know (she is berthed at Treasure Island in the San Francisco Bay).

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Daniel,
No matter who builds the sails, you will will need actual measurements off of your boat. Most sailmakers have guides for this information gathering.
Here is a link to the form off the UK site. http://www.ukhalsey.com/download/pdf/MeasForm.pdf

To get a "ball park" quote, usually you can describe your boat well enough to for them to give a basic quote. Remember that any similarity of your boat's rig to any other model will not help the sailmaker too much. Your boat "is what it is."
Your model may have had a "standard" and "tall" rig. The later is often about two feet taller. If comparing quotes from differing sail makers, be real sure you specify the same list of features. Some will actually charge extra for numbers, emblem, and draft stripes -- but you knew that.

(Trivia: FWIW, my particular boat has the stock Kenyon rig and the words Tall Rig are stamped on top of the lower spreader roots... something I know from going up in a bosun's chair. )

If you want a basic yet fairly accurate measurement for height of the main luff, just run a tape measure up with the halyard to the black band on top. (Be sure to attach a cautionary downhaul line to that shackle in case the tape is not strong enough to pull the halyard back down!)

Keep us posted.
Happy shopping!
:cool:

Loren

Last edited:

Lawrence B. Lee

Member III
Sail Makers

The Ericson sails I know of in my area of the world (5-6) have their sails built my Mack Sails in Stuart Fla. or UK in Charleston, SC. I have a new Mack main $1,900 and a 135 genoa $2,200 from Mack. Great looking sails! A friend with a 30+ has a new main from UK and it is a fine looking sail as well. Check out both their web sites.

Larry Lee
Savannah, GA
Annabel Lee E-32-200

bayhoss

Member III
Ullman Sails in Deltaville Va. is a very good loft. Jerry Latell is the owner and works right along side the staff. Never heard an ill word spoken of any of his sails. No connection, just a happy customer.

Best,
Frank

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Sails and Sail Makers

Take it from one who learned the hard way......

Ask around your marina......check out your local yellow pages.....

Whatever you do use a local sailmaker.......have them come to the boat.....measure carefully......have them show you different designs and materials and the price differential on each.....

If you need service......and you probably will, they will be the best one to take care of it in the future.....

Easy thought......vendor far away....out of sight....out of mind......

My .02 worth

Seth

Sustaining Partner
If you keep the boat on SF Bay..........

Don't even consider buying sails from a loft which is not local. You will need to have the boat measured and given the cost of new sails, you need to have access to local service..

First choice for this would be Doyle Sails SF (Alameda, actually)
DOYLE San Francisco
Bill Colombo
2035 Clement Ave.
Alameda, CA 94501
T (510) 523-9411
T (800) 94-DOYLE
F (510) 523-9433
sanfrancisco@doylesails.com
Tell him I sent you

You could also try Pineapple Sails:
Pineapple Sails:
Business Hours 8:00am-5:30pm PST Monday through Friday
Telephone (510) 522-2200
Fax (510) 522-7700
Email info@pineapplesails.com
URL www.pineapplesails.com

Good luck!

S

Blue Chip

Member III
We are in grand Marina in Alameda, and the UK loft looks right down on us in D11. Stop by some time and look at our rig and talk to Sylvain, the UK guy. He did a really swell job for us for which we are very appreciative. By the way ours is a 1990 32-200.

Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
That is another good choice

I should have mentioned the UK guys on the bay as well. In fact-I mentioned Billy Columbo and the Pineapple guys becuase I knew them pretty well, but Sylvain is no slouch and you should also talk to Jeff at Quantum, and there are a number of other good lofts on the bay who will also do a good job.

The point is I think you need to stay with a Bay Area (local) loft for best results and support.

Cheers