• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Draining Oil from Atomic 4

I have a 1977 E27 with an Atomic 4. I would like some tips on draining the oil. It appears that there are 3 options. 1) Pump out through the very small dip stick hole - problem is it would be a very small tube and be very time consuming. 2) Drain out from the lower front left drain hole - problem is it is very difficult to capture the oil and not let it run into the bilge and the engine cants towards the stern making it difficult to drain all the oil. 3) Pump the oil out from the right side vertical plug - problem is there is no room to get a wrench on the plug. I'm sure the best way is number 3 if I could get to the plug. Thoughts or ideas?

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
Atomic oil

If you can get to the plate that covers the transmission, take it off and suck out the oil here. Atomics use a common oil pan for engine and trans and common oil.

Walter Pearson

Member III
For my A-4 in an E27, I use the kit available from Moyer Marine that permanently connects to the access fitting under the carb. It has a dip tube which goes down into the pan and the attached hose can be led to the front of the engine. To remove the oil, I remove a cap on the end of that hose, connect it to a Topsider (vacuum can), and with a couple of pumps on the Topsider, the oil is out - with maybe a drop to be cleaned up when I disconnect. The oil is conveniently contained in the Topsider for tranfer to a recycler.

I do believe going in through the transmission plate might get out a little more oil, but I like the convenience of the Moyer kit and whatever residual oil remains has never seemed to be a problem.