• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Damaged Pulpit - E-29

plorette

Hi,

I have a damaged pulpit on an E-29 (1972). The pulpit is bent on one side and I am not sure if it can be repaired, I am looking into it with a local machine shop. My question is, would this be a custom order to replace or is it a stock item still in production? If custom, any thoughts on ballpark cost? Trying to decide if I want to pay $80 an hour for the shop to try and salvage it. Any advice would be welcome.

much appreciated.

Paul
1972 e-29
hull 204

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Damaged pulpit to fix or buy new?

Dear friend, I've been to Squamish on the Royal Hudson about a hundred years ago. With the boat that far up, who's even going to see the boat much less the pulpit? Kidding, that's lovely country up there. If all local solutions fail, contact Dave at Railmakers, 949.642.6506 down her in SoCal. They made your pulpit and most likely still have the drawings to make another one. Another knob to turn. Hope this helps, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

plorette

Thanks Glyn,

The Royal Hudson passes over a bridge a stone's throw from my boat. Glad you enjoyed your trip to BC and thanks for the tip.

Paul.

aquavit

Member II
Paul

Railmakers just quoted me $750.00 US for the bow rail for my 1990 E28. It seems that the same rail was used on many of the E boats. They are not scared to ship them and even gave me a quote with freight to Toronto Ontario. They quoted an additional $45.00 for handling and $250.00 (est) for shipping. So $1045.00 US and the rail is shiny new. In the end, Stainless Outfitters in Barrie Ont. fixed the damge to the pulpit for $659.75. If you are getting yours fixed, look for a shop that does stainless tube work. I'm a machinist and own a machine shop and wouldn't even pretend to know anything about repairing something like a bow rail. There is some art to that trade as well as skill.

Glenn (Aquavit)

simdim

Member II
I am in the same predicament and was afraid to remove the bent pulpit as I was told by many in my marina that even if I will manage to bent it back into the shape it will never be able to reinsert it into the same post holders. From the railmakers picture they sell new pulpit with bottom holders so does it mean that once removed I will have to reinstall/rebed the footing of the pulpit?

Cheers,

Carefree Sailor

Member II
Electrical Wires in the Bow Pulpit

I notice on the Railmakers site referenced above that the electrical wires will exit the most aft starboard rail. An earlier thread (E32-3 Running Lights Breaker Popping) concluded that for some other Ericson models the wires exited the most aft port rail. You might want to check which side your wires currently exit. If they are on port, maybe Railmakers can make the switch from starboard to port for you.

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Simdim, Yes you will need to re-bed the pulpit. The good news is that Railmakers has the original fixtures that your old one was made on and the replacement will be made in that same fixture so all the holes should line up exactly. That should make it a painless process. Anywhere else will probably not be able to get it perfect. Edd

cawinter

Member III
Experience

Simdim, Yes you will need to re-bed the pulpit. The good news is that Railmakers has the original fixtures that your old one was made on and the replacement will be made in that same fixture so all the holes should line up exactly. That should make it a painless process. Anywhere else will probably not be able to get it perfect. Edd

For what its worth... I went with Railmakers in CA a few years ago when we had a visit from TS Ernesto (and a rogue 42ft Hunter:0). I had to take very detailed measurements per their template. They built a new pulpit with a crate around it for transport, and I had a replacement-ready part within a week (?). It fit perfectly.

The nice thing was that I got to redesign the 'nose': I had them put a 1" tube about 4" behind the round nose, and I can now mount an Aquasignal bow light in a way that it is protected. I opted not to take their welded-on design, which would have put the bowlight way out there. Now...you have to understand the situation...the (next) HUNTER is out there again, and I don't sense they are any more careful with their mooring pennants. :mad:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Chris - My E-34 is much older than yours (33 boats), but my nav light is protected. Was your old pulpit different than mine, and how is the new one better than mine?

The nice thing was that I got to redesign the 'nose': I had them put a 1" tube about 4" behind the round nose, and I can now mount an Aquasignal bow light in a way that it is protected. I opted not to take their welded-on design, which would have put the bowlight way out there.

Attachments

• Pulpit 1.JPG
    Pulpit 1.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 90

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Edd - The pulpit is so strong that two people couldn't tear it off. I will admit that the woman had one hand tied behind her back. :)

cawinter

Member III
Edd - The pulpit is so strong that two people couldn't tear it off. I will admit that the woman had one hand tied behind her back. :)

My pulpit didn't have the lower arch which secures the bottom of your plate. The plate was just welded to the top bar and otherwise unprotected. When I got hit, the whole plate ripped off and the thin cross bar was bent. The rest of the pulpit was distorted.

I now moved the top bar back a bit (2"?) from where it is in your picture, it is made of 1" tubing and welded in, and I have the Aquasignal bowlight bracket for the light. Still penty of room to the jib, if that is what you were thinking, and the way it looks NOBODY will try to bang into me anymore! 'Ramming speed...' :0