• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Thank You All, S/V Spirit Soul - First movement in 19 years

gregdettmer

Member I
Back in 1992, the second owner of an E38 hauled the boat for a total refit. The boat was partially disassembly (removal of mast, rigging and most bolt on exterior hardware). There was a complete stripping of bottom gelcoat (due to blisters) followed by re-fairing which include 2 layers of biaxial glass. At the time, 500 lbs of extra ballast were added with the help of Mars Metals. The Sides of the boat were painted Navy blue with a clear coat polyurethane and the tope side was painted with a white Poly urethane. Then the boat sat and sat and sat on land for 17 more years. During which time the fresh paint dulled and the clear coat cracked.

Two years ago I became the third owner.

Since then, the boat hull and deck have been repainted with Alexseal (via roll and tip), Bottom paint, Re-bed of all deck hardware, Mast repainted, all new rigging, new electrical, new plumbing, rebuilt engine, new prop, new shaft, all new thru hulls, new fuel tank (old one leaked and damaged some bulk heads which were also replaced) and the list goes on and on and on. While all is not done cosmetically, it was finally time to place the boat back in the water where it truly belongs. This is a picture of the boat moving for the first time after 19 years. It floats, its dry, it runs and the mast gets stepped next week.

Thank you all for the advice here on the website; I could not have gotten this far with out

Regards
Greg Dettmer
S/V Spirit Soul
E38
Off the stands for the first time in a very long time
off the stands.jpg

100 yards to the slip
heading toward the water.jpg

A happy boat in the water
floating at last.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Wow!

By golly that's one good looking vessel!
I'm thinkin' that this is the second example to show up here with a Mars Metal bulb addition. Was this boat a "standard" draft (about 5'6" IRC) ? And then then the two piece bulb added, or was it a "competition" keel @ 6'6", and then was shortened and the weight added...

Anyhow, it is just lovely now.
:egrin:

LB

bblakesley

I love the look of the boat. Especially the beige anti-skid decks. It's good to see people saving these boats from disrepair. There is a E-29 in the slip across from me that has not moved in 2 years. I want to steal it just to save it from its owners.

gregdettmer

Member I
By golly that's one good looking vessel!
I'm thinkin' that this is the second example to show up here with a Mars Metal bulb addition. Was this boat a "standard" draft (about 5'6" IRC) ? And then then the two piece bulb added, or was it a "competition" keel @ 6'6", and then was shortened and the weight added...

Anyhow, it is just lovely now.
:egrin:

LB

The boat is the standard draft boat with the two piece bulb added.

regards,
Greg