• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E32-3 Running Lights Breaker Popping

newgringo

Member III
I have troubleshot the popping breaker for my Running Lights and determined I have a big short to ground. After a lot careful measuring I have determined that the gray #14 wire for the running lights power to the bow red/grn lights is shorted to the inside of bow rail. So I guess I need to rewire it. My question is - Does anyone know where the bow running lights wires (gray and black) feed into the bow rail? I have looked in the V berth and can not find any access in the headliner to the rail stantions. Of course I am not keen on cutting the headliner looking for wires. But.... Any ideas? Help!

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I don't know if yours is like on our E30+, but it may be the same. Our wires run inside the headliner (ie. between the headliner and the fibreglass hull and then go up through the deck into the starboard side of the pulpit/bow rail, inside the stainless steel railing.

Access to this wire is forward of the bulkhead at the bow/front of the V-berth. I remove that bulkhead cover and can see inside below and beside the anchor locker. The wire on our boat runs beside the anchor locker on the starboard side and then up through the pulpit.

It sounds worse than it is. Hopefully yours will be straight-forward as well. I also would not cut the vinyl headliner to rewire the light.

Frank

Last edited:

C Masone

Perfect Storm
Many have had problems with the wires where they pass into the bow rail, including myself. But the fix was easy in my case, I just removed the set screws that hold the rail and lifted it and there was the problem at the aft port socket. Wires were broken, there was plenty of slack, a couple of heatshrink connectors and all was good in the world, hope this is this easy for you.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Many have had problems with the wires where they pass into the bow rail, including myself. But the fix was easy in my case, I just removed the set screws that hold the rail and lifted it and there was the problem at the aft port socket. Wires were broken, there was plenty of slack, a couple of heatshrink connectors and all was good in the world, hope this is this easy for you.

This is where I would start too. Just be careful when lifting the bow rail as there might not be enough slack to even put the rail back down on the deck without breaking the wires (which are by now sure to be old and brittle). I'm guessing it will be though the aft most bow pulpit stanchion base on starboard.

newgringo

Member III
I like the lifting the rail idea. My E32-3 Owners Manual (nice book!) shows the wires running along the port side though. We will see. Now I gotta get to work.

Carefree Sailor

Member II
Wiring for running lights

I realize that the question pertains to an E32. I recently had a wiring problem and found, via an access cutout in my anchor chain locker, that the wires for E35-3 run up the port side and enter the most aft stanchion of the bow pulpit.

Last edited:

Mindscape

Member III
Access to bow running lights

I've considered putting an inspection port in the anchor locker in my 32-3 so help provide access to this wiring. I've not encountered the issue you describe (yet), but have thought about it. I think Loren has either done this or posted about this idea as well.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Gaining Access

Given that the Olson has a rather shallow anchor locker, no access plate is needed.
However, the late model E-32 has an anchor locker large & deep enough to transport a couple of small illegal aliens.
I would be inclined to put a screw-out port near the top in each side.
Any owners of 80's similar-design-group Ericsons can chime in at this point... :rolleyes:

LB

Last edited:

Akavishon

Member III
I had the exact same problem ... the wires were shorting, and damaged right at the point where they pass through the bow pulpit (port side, aft leg). I pulled the pulpit and fixed it provisionally, then fixed it again a couple of months later when I removed the anchor locker liner and had full access from below. I also found that the hole at the base of the pulpit mount - through which the wires enter the boat - was the source of a leak.

CIMG2077.jpgCIMG2076.jpg

newgringo

Member III
Pulled pulpit and found wires feed from aft port stantion into rail. Cut gray wire and short went away. Now just to replace wires. All wet and gooky inside the stantion. I like idea of an inspection port in anchor locker. Maybe later. Will advise when back on line with red and green.

newgringo

Member III
All fixed. Did not find actual shorting wire. Suspect razor sharp edges on ends of rail tubing cut into wire somewhere. Thanks everyone for valuable input. Still thinking about an access port in the anchor locker.