• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Shore power connector

jaysailor

I purchased a 1976 Ericson 27 and it seems to have an unusual connector for the shore power - not the standard twist lock. Has anyone noted this on any other boat?

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Photo? Description?

My first guess without knowing ANYTHING about what you're looking at is that it's some kind of an RV power connection.

TRMN8R

Member II
Either a more detailed description of what you see OR better yet, an image would help, then we might be able to assist you?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Are you sure that it is your shore power connector--it looks alot like the handle insert for my cockpit whale gusher manual bilge pump. Could it be that?

If it is actually your shore power cord, I haven't seen one like it, and can't help with that. :confused:
Frank

TRMN8R

Member II
Here's a couple of shots of the mystery connector

Thanks,View attachment 9114View attachment 9115

Thx for posting. I have to admit that I've never seen anything like this. It's difficult to actually see into the space on the right side image. Help us here. What is actualy in the center of the yellow ring? Are there electrical connection/blades/etc there or what? By the looks of the left side image, clearly something was intended to go through the cover and seal off the space from the elements which would suggest electrical??

Glyn Judson

What is it?

Guys, Well it ain't a shore power connector, it's the cockpit view of a Whale gusher manual bilge pump. There should be a stainless steel handle with black knob aboard that will fit that hole in the center of the yellow ring. If the pump does not work, don't toss it. They're easy to disassemble and can in most cases be cleaned and put back together. The biggest problem aside from corrosion is that crud and slime collect under or near the hinge points of the flapper valves, thereby preventing them from closing. I also had one fail due to a sliver of plywood stuck in the flapper valve aperture. Clean it, repaint it and restore it to service. After that's done, go look for your shore power socket. On a more serious note, I have a friend who owns a mid 1970's E27 clearly equipped with an owner installed, industrial grade (not marine) shore power receptacle on the cabin side. This suggests to me that the boat did not come with shore power. Was it the case that such things were an option back then? Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marin del Rey, CA

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The picture did indeed help a lot!

Unintentional as the humor may have been... this is one of the funnier posts seen around here in years.
(Mental image of pumping and seeing sparks shoot out of the thru-hull fitting!)
:)

On a slightly more serious note, anyone tried the new shore power fitting being promoted for serious $ at the shows and in some magazines?
http://www.smartplug.com/

Fair winds,

Loren

HGSail

Member III
Definately a whale gusher pump no question. I have one just like yours on my 29. The metal flap is intended for horizontal installation to keep the elements off the rubber.

Guys, Well it ain't a shore power connector, it's the cockpit view of a Whale gusher manual bilge pump. There should be a stainless steel handle with black knob aboard that will fit that hole in the center of the yellow ring. If the pump does not work, don't toss it. They're easy to disassemble and can in most cases be cleaned and put back together. The biggest problem aside from corrosion is that crud and slime collect under or near the hinge points of the flapper valves, thereby preventing them from closing. I also had one fail due to a sliver of plywood stuck in the flapper valve aperture. Clean it, repaint it and restore it to service. After that's done, go look for your shore power socket. On a more serious note, I have a friend who owns a mid 1970's E27 clearly equipped with an owner installed, industrial grade (not marine) shore power receptacle on the cabin side. This suggests to me that the boat did not come with shore power. Was it the case that such things were an option back then? Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marin del Rey, CA

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I recently replaced the shore power connector in my cockpit with the same Marinco model that was originally there. I think I went that direction because at the time I didn't want to spend the money to replace both the male and female sides of the connection with the SmartPlug. I have been looking at the SmartPlug again and like the design. Wonder if there are any people here who have converted to the SmartPlug and could provide feedback on its pros and cons.

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Smart Plug

Great Item.....

If I had the need to replace both the plug and the receptacle it is close enough in Price to the Marinco.....But.....since I had the Marinco on a a boat for 26 years and never a problem, and my 1987 has the same......and it is no doubt the original receptacle (I have a new cord on this one as the P/O did not leave one).....

My $.02 Worth

Keiffer

Member II
Whale Gusher

Here is a behind the scenes look at what you are seeing. This is the Whale Gusher out of our E31 after we re-built it.
DSCN7262.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN7263.jpg
    DSCN7263.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 693

wheelerwbrian

Member III
Thanks these pics help. Neither Gusher, bilge or holding tank, works on my 88 E38 and its on my list to fix or replace. I'm assuming both are original to the boat, so its that old question - buy a new one and have it work, or buy the rebuild kit, spend the time rebuilding and reinstalling it, and have it not work or fail shortly thereafter...

u079721

Contributing Partner
Not really a question in my mind. If it's something that can be rebuilt, I rebuild it. That way I learn how it works, and get the experience so I can service it the next time something happens while I'm anchored out somewhere. Rebuilding a pump is not like electronics or replacing the valves on the engine - it's actually pretty easy.

I kept a rebuild kit for every single pump aboard as spares - doesn't everyone?

tyrguy

Member II
Smartplug

I replaced the power cable end with the new Smartplug and I love it. Simple install good solid connection.

It was always fun for me on wednesday night races to watch the crew members trying to plug the shore power in, now with the new one its too simple and spoiled my entertainment.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Depending on the condition internally, the Gusher pump may be rebuildable. I took the manual pump for my bilge apart and had a hard time removing the screws that hold the flapper valves in place due to years or neglect and corrosion. If you don't have that problem it is an easy process to replace the valves, etc. There is a rebuild kit available. The pump to empty my holding tank overboard seems to be working and I am afraid to disassemble it for several reasons...corrosion being the least of them...

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I did the rebuild kit on my whale gusher, the only hard part was freeing the mounting screws on the face plate. Sprayed them with liquid wrench, let them soak a half day. Then I had to use a large flat head screw driver that would accept a small open end wrench. There was no way I could turn it with out leverage. Actually when I replace the valves and diaphragm they were not in bad shape. Just had a lot of salt and corrosion. Could have probably just cleaned them up and lubed them, but I had already purchased the kit.

For jaysailor, FYI, here's what your shore power connector should look like. Mine's mounted on the starboard side of the cockpit settee on my E-27. Yours could be located elsewhere. Maybe even inside the boat some where.

Attachments

• 8045.jpg
    8045.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 32
  • MAR-303SSEL-B_med.jpg
    MAR-303SSEL-B_med.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 54
  • MP80818117.jpg
    MP80818117.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 55