• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Non-skid deck

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I can't wait to hear the opinions on this one. I have been sanding the nonskid off my Mirage 236 I am rebuilding the stuff is like porch paint and sand, it looks awful. I want something like the Kiwi grip. Looks like it would be over $150 for roller and enough paint to do the deck on the 23’ boat. I will not be using the sand of other additives.

Shamwari

Please Contact Admin.
Kiwigrip

I put it on my e-39 3 years age and I would swear by it. It lasts well and where I had a stain I just added another layer and it looks like new. One thing to be careful about is that you can make the texture as aggressive as you want by the roller technique and if you really want non slip you can get it but if you slid on it it would take off skin. You can make it smoother if you want by just not re rolling it as it drys. Do one area at a time as it dries fairly quickly in the hot weather.

John Gleadle
Shamwari

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
John,

On the Kiwi site they say 20 sqft per liter, did you find this to hold true. I am loking for a minimal nonskid, Not anything like the paint and sand that is on the boat now.

AleksT

Member III
I just did my 27 and used up a little over a half gallon on what they call a thin coat. It has only been on for a couple moths so I have no idea about how long it will last. I was more aggressive on the foredeck with the texture roller and went very light in the cockpit seating areas. If you let the product dry before you pull the masking table use a knife to cut the paint especially if you use a thicker coat.

Wind River

Inactive Member
great stuff

I have been drilling lots of holes in my e38 to fix some dry delamination problems and got fed up trying to match the gelcoat and pattern. Tried the template and gelcoat thing and then covered everything over with kiwi grip. It did a pretty good job of hiding the old pattern. Three years now and still looks great.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I did my new to me racing boat, Mirage 236, with Kiwi, I did the application on a hot day so the nonskid was more aggressive than I wanted so I let it dry for a week and block sanded to take off the tips and make for comfort and non-skid that looks great and works very well. If I ever do another deck I will only consider Kiwi-grip.

I feel like a cheating husband having a racing boat that is not Rumkin my E29 but the prep and tailoring a 29' boat gust got to me and the Mirage was there at the right price though I have a ton in it now that it is race ready. IT"S A BOAT. The E29 did well in long races but the buoy races at the club were short legs and not in my favor and my nerves couldn’t handle the 700 mile round trip to Mobile each year for Dauphin Island race with the E29 behind my 1/2 ton truck.

See I feel guilty enough to try to explain why.

Last edited: