• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

EY.o Version 3 - Bug Report & Updates Thread

What do you think of the new vB version?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Greetings Everyone!

After 24 hours of PTSD-inducing fun, I bring you the latest version of vBulletin, and our little site therein. There is till much work to do, however I wanted to go ahead and open the site up to users, so you guys can start exploring, etc.

I will be working heavily on this site over the next week or so - to get the functionality issues squared away - and then, and only then, will I start working on the site's appearance, etc. I'm busy right now with a double thesis that is due by the end of the summer - so this is kind of conflicting with that....

First up will be dealing with the downloads issue. The fellow in Scotland who wrote our former downloads app has passed away - leaving the current version unsupported. I have temporarily installed another app - and will be looking at it over the next couple of days to determine if it is something we should consider using, etc.

The new app will include all site functions - including the admin/legal notices, and new: blogging! I will be bringing all of this together over the next couple of weeks - and will probably start using the blogging feature to roll out some of the new features, etc.

In the meantime, explore, look around, and post a few threads to catch up with others in the Ericson family....

I appreciate everyone's patience....thanks.

//sse

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
URL Cha-Cha

For those of you visiting late this evening, you may have gotten jostled when I switched the URL back and forth from www.EricsonYachts.org/infoexchange/... to www.EricsonYachts.org/... and back again.... Sorry!

When I moved the URL to the InfoExchange folder - and in doing so have broken all the links in threads with

"www.EricsonYachts.org/infoexchange/..."

in the link...so it's breaking....

So, instead of waiting, I just went ahead and moved it back... Sorry for the inconvenience!

//sse

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Similies...

The smileys.... :egrin: Uh, not him - but others - will need to be fixed. For some reason, they became disconnected during the migration, and a few of them broke ....

On my list!

//sse

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Bloggers - Go! Go! Go!

The blogging feature is up and running - and thankfully, after several hours of mind-splitting trouble shooting - I discovered why the custom avatars were not making to the summary window on the front, and that has now been corrected (so happy)!

I'll be adding an FAQ on blogging tonight (go here to see it) to provide more information about what it is, etc for those who are interested.

//sse

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Document/Gallery/Links - Update

I've been getting lots of mail asking "wa-happen??" to the links, galleries and downloads. This is an update to that question....

The links/galleries/downloads (under vB 3.8.7) was a add-on package (known as Links Download Manager - or 'LDM' as we call it) of software (or 'hack' as we call it) from a great developer in Scotland who did really good work. Andrew was a nice guy - very talented. Unfortunately, he became very ill last year, and passed away.

Since this app was his baby - and free and not supported by an army of developers (like vB is), there has been a lot of hand wringing (in the vB/LDM community) over what to do with the hack - as vB themselves have not picked it up, and there are a number of independent developers who are circling it, trying to decide if they should take it on (Andrew's shoes are very hard to fill - he was a very, very, very talented developer).

After looking at one other product that is available (and it's tiny by comparison, does about 10% of what Andrew's did), I think I've decided to set up a test.db and first do the 4.1.4 upgrade, and then try and install the last LDM version he wrote - hoping that it will run and not crash in the new PHP environment that our host has upgraded to two weeks ago, etc.

If it's ok, and stable, I will install this last version of LDM on the working DB and things should return to normal. The only issue is, going forward, is that someone (a developer) needs to adopt LDM and start working on it - for future releases of vB. If they don't, then we'll be back to the same set of problems we have now, trying to managing our documents library, etc.

Anyhow - that's the poop on vB, LDM, etc.....

Stay tuned....

//sse

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Similies... FIXED - but...

The smileys.... :egrin: Uh, not him - but others - will need to be fixed. For some reason, they became disconnected during the migration, and a few of them broke ....

On my list!

//sse

The similes have been fixed - vB replaced a bunch of the .gif versions with .png versions - and I'm not wild about them (I liked the older ones better - they were easier to read). Please continue to use these, however - as if we manage to get the old ones back, they'll be mapped to the same text commands, and will just "show up" once we make the switch (I'll advise if I do this).

//sse

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Similies - Ad Nauseum

The similes have been fixed - vB replaced a bunch of the .gif versions with .png versions - and I'm not wild about them (I liked the older ones better - they were easier to read). Please continue to use these, however - as if we manage to get the old ones back, they'll be mapped to the same text commands, and will just "show up" once we make the switch (I'll advise if I do this).

//sse

Further on this - because, you know - I put an emphasis on tackling the really important things first - :rolleyes: - I've replaced the "new" vB 4.1.3 similes with the "old" similes from years past. I think they're easier to read....of course, that's just me, so....

If anyone really would prefer some new similes to replace those we're using, just say so - otherwise I'm done with this as an issue....

//sse

D & DM Cahill

Member II
webpage update

Hi Sean. Thank you for all your great work on the webpage update. As one with limited abilities when it comes to technology, I really appreciate your efforts to keep this site available to the rest of us. The site is really helpful to me in researching problems, seeing what others have done to their boats or just enjoying the camaraderie of other Ericson owners. Thanks again. Dave Cahill

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Unable to make corrections

Sean:

I typed an epistle to one of the threads, and when I went to review it I had mis spelled a word and tried to backspace it out to retype, and it blew the entire thing away.....I have not tried it again, and I am reasonabley certain that is all I did (But with computers and "fat finger" mistakes you never know....)

I know you have more important things going on (which for the most part is Greek to me) but a quick glance to see if I am losing it would be appreciated.

Many thanks for all of your mighty efforts in keeping our "LIFELINE" open.

Thanks and regards

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Kudos!

Hi Sean,

I haven't been aboard for a couple weeks and imagine my surprise at all the changes? So far, so good in viewing and posting. I have only used EY.o V3 in Firefox 4.0.1 for the PC (via Parallels 6 on my MacBook Pro). I've abandoned Safari and use Firefox (v-?) on the OSX side. I'll let you know if I see any problems.

Great work as usual. Thanks!

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Hi Sean. Thank you for all your great work on the webpage update. As one with limited abilities when it comes to technology, I really appreciate your efforts to keep this site available to the rest of us. The site is really helpful to me in researching problems, seeing what others have done to their boats or just enjoying the camaraderie of other Ericson owners. Thanks again. Dave Cahill

Thanks for the comment - it's appreciated - I'm glad to hear that you find the site useful!

//sse

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Coming 'Auto Save' Resolution - in vB 4.1.4....

Sean:

I typed an epistle to one of the threads, and when I went to review it I had mis spelled a word and tried to backspace it out to retype, and it blew the entire thing away.....I have not tried it again, and I am reasonabley certain that is all I did (But with computers and "fat finger" mistakes you never know....)

I know you have more important things going on (which for the most part is Greek to me) but a quick glance to see if I am losing it would be appreciated.

Many thanks for all of your mighty efforts in keeping our "LIFELINE" open.

Thanks and regards

Hey Mort -

Contact me off line to discuss this - but I think I know what it is (bet you're using IE, huh?).... Also - in good news of the future - I'll be updating us tonight to vB 4.1.4 - the very latest version (was released 24 hours ago) - and get this:

In vB 4.1.4 the thread entry box (and blog entry box, I believe - but don't quote me yet) now has a 'draft-save' feature - that auto-saves your entry as you type it (or rather, saves it very 20 or 30 seconds) - so if something happens, you don't lose your entire entry and the last 30 minutes of your life.... This is good news - I've had several people talking to me about this just in the last few weeks....

Contact me off line about the IE thing Mort - basically, the issue is in the browser and how it interfaces with vB - Firefox is a much, much better browser - and I recommend you switch. You can draw over your bookmarks very, very easily - and unlike IE, their code is tight - so you don't get Trojan horses (viruses, worms and malware - oh my...) when you click on site elements....

Anyhow - send me a note and we'll chat....

//sse

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Hi Sean,

I haven't been aboard for a couple weeks and imagine my surprise at all the changes? So far, so good in viewing and posting. I have only used EY.o V3 in Firefox 4.0.1 for the PC (via Parallels 6 on my MacBook Pro). I've abandoned Safari and use Firefox (v-?) on the OSX side. I'll let you know if I see any problems.

Great work as usual. Thanks!

Yeah, I'm using only Firefox also (although I do look at it in other browsers to see how it looks, etc) - started doing so after UW made it their default browser - and found it to provide a richer (and safer) environment than our friends in Redmond do.

Thanks for the comment on the site also - it's getting there - slowly!

//sse

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
The LDM Saga Continues...but GOOD NEWS!

I've been getting lots of mail asking "wa-happen??" to the links, galleries and downloads. This is an update to that question....

The links/galleries/downloads (under vB 3.8.7) was a add-on package (known as Links Download Manager - or 'LDM' as we call it) of software (or 'hack' as we call it) from a great developer in Scotland who did really good work. Andrew was a nice guy - very talented. Unfortunately, he became very ill last year, and passed away.

Since this app was his baby - and free and not supported by an army of developers (like vB is), there has been a lot of hand wringing (in the vB/LDM community) over what to do with the hack - as vB themselves have not picked it up, and there are a number of independent developers who are circling it, trying to decide if they should take it on (Andrew's shoes are very hard to fill - he was a very, very, very talented developer).

After looking at one other product that is available (and it's tiny by comparison, does about 10% of what Andrew's did), I think I've decided to set up a test.db and first do the 4.1.4 upgrade, and then try and install the last LDM version he wrote - hoping that it will run and not crash in the new PHP environment that our host has upgraded to two weeks ago, etc.

If it's ok, and stable, I will install this last version of LDM on the working DB and things should return to normal. The only issue is, going forward, is that someone (a developer) needs to adopt LDM and start working on it - for future releases of vB. If they don't, then we'll be back to the same set of problems we have now, trying to managing our documents library, etc.

Anyhow - that's the poop on vB, LDM, etc.....

Stay tuned....

//sse

Well the last 24 hours have been tough - I created and installed a copy of this DB elsewhere on the site, upgraded to vB4.1.4 and then tried to add the LDM hack - and it failed. I mentioned this to the developers out on the vB.org boards, and they told me how to change the xml load files to bypass the error - I did so - and voila! - our LDM data popped up on the test DB like it had never left (and, I guess it never had).

So - I will be upgrading the live DB tonight to vB 4.1.4 - and will add the LDM hack back into the site - and we'll have documents and galleries and projects and profiles and stories again! :nerd:

Once that's done, it will buy us some time to decide what to do in the long run about that portion of the site. My inclination is to move away from a hack all together (unless a good developer, or vB themselves, pick up the hack and start supporting it actively), and slowly transfer the assets to a new portion of the site which is derived from existing vB features - so it can never go out of date. We'll see - anyhow - for now, it's coming back up.

Once it's in - if anyone sees anything goofy, please let me know.

//sse

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
vB 4.1.4 Upgrade + LDM 6.0.7 PL1 : Upgrade/Install Complete

The database was upgraded tonight to vB 4.1.4 - and there are lots of new features - including a drafting feature on thread inputs (and possibly blog inputs as well). When entering a thread or reply to a thread, you'll note an occasional small yellow "auto saved" appearing at the bottom of the screen. This is the most recent version of the vB software.

The LDM hack (the software that controls the downloads, galleries, projects, and profiles) has been upgraded and appears to be functioning normally.

If anyone sees anything goofy, please let me know. The only thing that might be missing are some new icons or labels - if you see anything goofy like that (or anything else) please advise.

Thanks,
//sse

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
LDM 3.0.2 PL1 Hack - Issues with Chrome, Safari and IE

Today I discovered that there are some issues with the LDM hack (the software that controls all the downloads, galleries and projects - that marked "Links/Downloads" above) - and that some of the graphic text links are coming up as unknowns (depending on the browser, they come up as question marks, or Xs or what have you).

I've forwarded the question to those developers who are looking at taking on this hack - but as mentioned earlier in this thread, since Andrew died last year, there is little/no support for it.

So - hopefully we can get an easy fix sometime soon....but I thought I would let you guys know that if you are using Firefox, you won't have any issues - and I am aware of the other issues in that area.....

Stay tuned....

//sse

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Google Chrome on a Mac

Hi Sean,

I just started using Chrome - it's faster than Firefox. I have noticed that the advanced editor doesn't word wrap :0 at the end of the edit window, but when the post is Previewed or Submitted the result is fine :egrin:

If you need someone to test a fix let me know. It's not a big deal, so get your homework done first!

Best regards,
Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.