• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

May 31st Crash: Wha-Happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Ok -

The site tripped and fell today - and the Info Exchange was taken off line for a couple of hours. The cause of this was two fold:

• Our host, Pair Networks, upgraded their servers to a new version of PHP, the language these pages uses to deliver the info to your browser. They completed the upgrade on our server this morning...
  • Once they did that, the software that supports the password clearance into the main database was out of date - and the Info Exchange could not see the database....
  • Once that happened, the main support for the Info Exchange files themselves was lost, and so the entire thing went 'splat'. :esad:
So - as of now, the main body of the Info Exchange as been updated to work with the new version of PHP - and the linkage to the DB has also been fixed. :egrin:

What remains to be fixed are the modifications, however - those which serve access to the documents archive, projects, profiles, etc. I'll be taking that up in a few hours - I need to head home (I've been parked in a hallway at the UW campus for the last five hours dealing with this - and really need to leave....).

All of this is my fault. I am in the middle of completing these degrees, and am working on a double thesis - so I have been a little um, "distracted" lately. I received a notice from Pair warning of the upgrade - but thought the PHP would still support the existing version of vB and the modifications... Apparently, I was wrong. You all have my apologies for the disruption.

I'll get on the remaining stuff when I get home. Thanks for your patience.

//sse

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Auto-Tagging

Also...

The auto-tagging feature is also affected by this - so it will have to be upgraded also... I'll take care of that tonight as well....

Thanks for your patience!

//sse

Last edited:

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Upgrades

Sean,

It's a rare IT infrastructure upgrade in my experience that isn't without it's problems. Many thanks for coming to the rescue and saving our precious data, especially in the middle of all your other work!

Cheers,

Ignacio

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Thanks for your hard work and the hours you spend keeping things running!

Now about that thesis...LOL!

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Maintenance Coming Up....

I'll be setting a maintenance warning for Thursday night - as a number of things have to be done to overcome some issues that have cropped up as a result of the sudden upgrades that occurred. Heavy maintenance will happen this weekend - when I have more time.

If you guys see anything that seems goofy/broken within the Info Exchange, please shoot me a note - as I'm compiling a list.

//sse

ps : Oh - thanks for the thanks - it's appreciated.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
The "Downloads Center" link does not work anymore.

I'll be setting a maintenance warning for Thursday night - as a number of things have to be done to overcome some issues that have cropped up as a result of the sudden upgrades that occurred. Heavy maintenance will happen this weekend - when I have more time.

If you guys see anything that seems goofy/broken within the Info Exchange, please shoot me a note - as I'm compiling a list.

//sse

ps : Oh - thanks for the thanks - it's appreciated.

Mindscape

Member III
Thanks!

As always - thanks Sean. Not sure how I could help, but if there is something that I could help with please let me know. I'm sure there are other folks that would be happy to chip in where possible.

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Links, Downloads and Galleries....Oh my....

The "Downloads Center" link does not work anymore.

Yeah - that's because the new version of the software does not support the installed version of the software that runs that - so I either have to upgrade the existing installation - or - go to the entire next level which would change lots of things on the site - so I'm looking into this now.

Consideration of the entire version is prompted by the expected withdrawal of support on this existing level - so it may just make sense to make the jump now and deal with it....we'll see...

If the whole-version upgrade is not decided upon, I'll try and do the existing upgrade just so folks have access.....

Thanks for your patience....

//sse

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Major Surgery Warning: Jun 5th 2011

Hello -

This is to let you know that I will be performing HEAVY maintenance on the database tonight - Sunday, June 5th - starting at 8 PM Pacific Time. At that time, the Information Exchange will be closed to everyone.

Actually, I'll be taking us to the next version of vBulletin - so the look and feel of the site itself will change overnight (hopefully) - so you're going to have to be patient with it. It should work the same, but will most likely look somewhat different, etc... It will take a little while to get tuned down and get all the apps back in place, etc.

This is on-going, related to the crashing of the site earlier this week, and cannot be avoided. Hopefully this upgrade only take a couple of hours to deal with - but I would not plan on using the site until Monday morning. We'll see what happens...

Thanks for your cooperation.

//sse

Status
Not open for further replies.