• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New Owner E-28 Mission Bay San Diego

seajunkie

Member I
Hi!

After trolling this board for a year or so, I made the move to Ericson land by purchasing a "new to me" 1986 E28. We sailed it down to Mission Bay from Oceanside on Wednesday. I had some trouble with the tabernacle rig. All the pieces weren't there. I finally got that squared away today and she made it under the low bridge and into my slip at the MBYC.

My last boat was a Cape Dory 25. I loved that boat. The online owner's group was fantastic. It looks like Ericson's have a pretty good following too. It's amazing how well this Ericson has aged. There is virtually no crazing. The gel coat is in fantastic shape. She will sparkle with a little elbow grease. I have some tuning and maintenance to do, but nothing overwhelming.

I look forward to participating here.

Seakjunkie,
aka Rich

Attachments

• P1010013.jpg
    P1010013.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 183

Special K

Member II
Welcome aboard

I sail a 1986 E28 up here in Seattle. The E28 is a fantastic boat. The boat is sensitive to mainsail trim. Outhaul and traveller adjustments have a major impact on both speed and heeling angle. The owners group is a great source of information and advice.

Peter

Attachments

• racing 2008-.jpg
    racing 2008-.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 175

devoh002

Kind of off-topics, but I just recently bought a E28 yesterday. By looking at your pictures, could you please advise from who/where you got your dodgers? The one I just bought has no dodger/bimini, and I would like to install those. At least the dodger, as I see it as a great asset. Thanks.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome aboard!

Now allow me to be one of the few to argue against a dodger, or at least bring up the topic.

Good points: great handholds, if you get stainless dodger rails, for deck to cockpit transit. Shade. Uh, maybe. Spray protection to windward. Uh, maybe.

Bad points: Obscures the view. Expensive. Interferes with controls. Maintenance. Can look ugly if shape is not right for the boat.

Our climate has almost no rain. We have light air, so very little spray. A dodger is most effective to windward, and cruising sailors go to windward less often than any other tack. How much a dodger protects anybody from wind depends on the design of the dodger and how far it projects into the cockpit. On a small boat, it can severely restrict deck access.

Consider that racing boats donʻt have dodgers, and why they donʻt.

These arguments are the best I can do. Some like dodgers, some donʻt. I like to argue that they are not always necessary, and when necessary, a necessary evil.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
...allow me to be one of the few to argue against a dodger...

+1

Even here in the Great North Wet, I don't have a dodger (nor a plan to add one).

It's useful in a small number of scenarios (eg, you *have* to be out on the water in a specific timeframe, and it'll be raining). It's "in the way" all the rest of the time. And "in the way" not only means physically obstructing access, view, etc, it also means (just my humble opinion) getting in the way of the sights and sounds and sensory joys of sailing.

My view on this is not shared by many up here - I am one of the very few boats in my part of the marina without a dodger. Some, in fact, have complete cockpit enclosures. Whatever. If I wanted to sit in a room and watch it rain through a window, I could do that at home. When i go sailing, I want to feel the wind, and see the water.

$.02
Bruce

JPS27

Member III
I've taken the dodger off my wish list for my 27 based on what I've heard here over the past few years when the topic comes up. While I curse my bimini, it is actually indispensable to me during the hot Virginia summer months. I just put it on this past weekend. It also is about the only way my wife will go out in the summer. I curse it mainly because it makes going forward on the deck a royal pain. On the other hand I also think about extending it over my head. The skipper bakes while the crew is in the shade (if the skipper sits behind the wheel).

Jay

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If you can take a joke, this solution for shade is remarkably easy: put it up when needed, stores small when not. Better shadow than any bimini. Good under sail up to the first reef. Market version with vent works best.

A semi-permanent bimini has to be high. A removable umbrella can be low, for protection where you need it.

You do have to be able to take the jokes.

1-ERicson 38 umbrella.JPG

slip ko olina close.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Since I can't go home when it rains I find a dodger awfully damn handy. If at a dock or sailing off the wind the companionway hatch would have to be closed with the slats in to keep the rain out of the cabin without it.. Not pleasant in the summer time.

Being up north I can live very nicely without a bimini.

A device I do like is a hatch tent so I can keep the forward hatch open when it rains. It greatly improves the air circulation. They are easy to make or they can be bought for about $90. https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|6880|2290149|2290156&id=2030399

Hatch Tent 003 (Medium).jpgHatch Tent 001 (Medium).jpg