• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Well, gee - no wonder they leak

Mikebat

Member III
Got the fixed port frames out this weekend so I could compare the openings to two sets of drawings Bomon sent me.

Just take a look at that caulking... uh... job? Looks like somebody took off work early that day.

Attachments

• IMAG0247.jpg
    IMAG0247.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 116
  • IMAG0249.jpg
    IMAG0249.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 126

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
That window looks different than the ones that are in my 30+. The part where the interior clamping frame attaches to the exterior frame doesn't have the groove/channel that the screw goes into that I have in mine and have seen in others.

Attachments

• IMG_0130s.jpg
    IMG_0130s.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 445

O_Scott

I am now trying to deal with leaks in this fixed ports too. Unlike yours, mine was drowning in caulking between wood and frame ... took forever to cut free.

My question - the external black gasket seems to have shrunk in length and is showing its age ('87 E38). It is about an inch short of going all the way around glass and is pulling out of the corners of the frame. Does anyone know where to get replacement gasketing. (I am dealing with Speciality Plastics, CT on the hatches and they cant help with this gasketing.)

Failing that, anyone with successful 'field repairs' in this external area? I was thinking of a black butyl caulk spot repair. Suggestions. Thks.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
If you are talking about the glazing strip that seals the glass into the frame, you can get that from Catalina Direct or from other sources of glazing on the web. If you are talking about the wide (about 1/2") gasket that is in the channel on the side of the frame inside the boat, that is only cosmetic and does not affect whether the windows are watertight or not.

O_Scott

Fixed Portlites Glazing Sources

Mark - thanks for the lead. And yes, I was talking about the exterior sealing gasket, not the interior cosmetic piece.

I have a call into Catalina to see if I can get a sample of their product. Do you have any names of other glazing suppliers that might carry this material. I apparently dont know what to query for, cause I could not find seemingly relevant suppliers. I am reluctant to take apart one of the portlite frames until I have sourced the gasketing. (kinda Catch 22) ... got any suppliers name suggestions?

Thanks

PS - After I sent this, I found a link at bottom of the page for Wefco Rubber Mfg. that seems to be a start. Will pursue that as well. Thxs.

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I had done a bit of research on this and found a couple of places that have what appears to be the correct size glazing material, but I am running out of the house right now and will have to look it up later today.

As I recall, Wefco also said they have that material even though it does not show up on their website:

http://www.wefcorubber.com/default.asp

Here is the other source I found. It looked to me like the D752C would work.

http://www.dkhardware.com/category-1874-glazing-vinyl-for-3-16-48-mm-glass.html

Last edited:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi OScott,

You could try to find it a local glass shop. Here are some photos of the gasket I found at Santa Cruz Glass - they use it for shower door installation.

Attachments

• gasket.jpg
    gasket.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 62
  • gasket2a.jpg
    gasket2a.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 73

DynamicDave

Member I
The Catalina direct product is an exact fit for early Ericsons....

Having rebuilt all my '76 32-2 ports last winter with the cat direct glazing vinyl, I can attest to the proper fit and seal. Sometimes we just get lucky. The internal decorative trim fits as well as the glass seal. Be sure to polish out the water stains from your tempered glass inserts prior to rebedding and riviting the two aluminium flange halfs back together. This was by far the most time consuming part of the project.I used poly butalyne tape to seal the port to the out side cabin and secured w/ new SS Screws! Beats the heck out of a mess of caulk that wont seal anyway!.The ports have not leaked. The handrails however, were leaking after (before) the port replacements. Removed teak handrails and filled all handrail holes w/ epoxy and now it's on to the stansions. They too, will receive the poly B treatment. Soaking tempered glass in vinegar for a few days helped the water marks buff off easily.