• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Anchor ideas for '87 E32-3

captrick

Member I
Greetings:

I am looking for ideas on the best way to upgrade my anchor system. Below is a synopsis of what I have and what I want.

-Two danforth style anchors of different size; one approx. 15-20lb. and one 30-40lb. for storm anchor.
-Simple anchor roller w/o chain stop. Uses port and starboard bow cleats to tie off. (This causes a problem as if the boat is pitching the line gets chaffed on the anchor roller since the cleats are offset to the side). This appears to be the original set up.

I want to add some form of windlass for convenience. Preferably non-electrical for simplicity of installation and maintenance (manual is fine). I foresee a challenge as the anchor locker is very close to the end of the anchor roller. I have attached a picture that gives some perspective on the close proximity. It seems the best would be to mount the windlass aft of the locker, but aesthetically would be undesireable and would just be sitting out in the middle of the foredeck.

Any suggestions on the manual unit to use and where to mount the chain stop, windlass and tie off cleat would be greatly appreciated.

Happy sailing. :egrin:

Attachments

• DSCN0828.jpg
    DSCN0828.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 451

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Lightweight Lofrans Manual Wildlass

Here's a link to the data sheet for a manual Lofrans Windlass, available to suit 1/4" thru 3/8" chain.
http://imtra.com/downloadTypes/Royal_d.jpg
Where you refer to chafe, are you using chain rode or rope rode? Appears there might be chain on your bow? With chain you can easily use a shock line hook rigged as a bridle so the load is split to both chocks/ cleats in a "vee" arrangement. For a rope rode I would think you should just add a centre line cleat and a chain stopper aft of that. From the link/ sketch of the Lofrans winch, I think it should be positioned to drop the chain into, ideally the deepest portion of your chain locker. I think typically if the chain hawser is too far forward the chain will tend to pile up on any sloped surface and eventually block the opening. I read different accounts where it's necessary to have a crew person below to spread the chain in the chain locker to overcome this piling up tendency. Setting the Windlass aft may be a functional necessity.
With the flukes on a Danforth anchor I don't imagine they would stow on a Bow Roller, do you hang them on the Pulpit? or stow them aft. I prefer the idea of having an anchor rigged and ready on the bow. And I now carry three different anchors, a "Plow" which fits the bow roller, a "Danforth" and a "Fisherman s"
Recently read one of Hal Roths' early books and he refers to his tandem arrangement of two anchors in series on the same rode separated by 15 to 20 feet of chain. Claims he has never dragged at anchor with that set-up. He just worries about everybody else in the anchorage!

captrick

Member I
Clarification

Thanks, Greg.

I should have been more clear (pictures are deceiving). I am using a rope rode. The chain in the picture is off of the small anchor mounted in a pulpit on the rail. The storm anchor is stored in the locker in the bow.

You are confirming my thought to install a cleat and chain stopper in line with the roller. The challenge is that the front of the anchor locker lid is very close to the end of the roller. So close that any type of windlass or capstan will not fit between the two. So...leads me to a couple of follow up questions:

1. Could a small windlass or capstan be mounted in the locker itself?
2. Does a manual capstan exist? Would it be possible to operate a manual device mounted just below the locker lid height?
3. To confirm - the new cleat in line with the roller should be foreward of the chain stop?

I know this may seem simple, but given the small amount of space to work with, I am struggling with what the best solution will be. I don't mind manual aspects, I just want to be able to store on the roller (once I get a plow style anchor) and avoid killing myself breaking the danforths (especially the storm anchor) from the bottom.

I appreciate the advice and direction.

Rick

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
If you search on this site for 'windlass' you will come up with many threads on installations and their concerns. If that's not enough, search on 'windless' for a whole lot more. :)