• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Atomic 4 Replacement

Wanda Ericson

WE HAVE AN ERICSON 29. THE ATOMIC 4 EITHER NEEDS TO BE REBUILT OR REPLACED. ANYONE, HAVE ANY ADVICE ON A REPLACEMENT DIESEL ENGINE? THE NEW ONES ARE PRETTY EXPENSIVE - DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY USED ONES?

Paul Wood

Dear Wanda,

I also have a E-29 (1976) and just recently pulled my old A4 and installed a new diesel engine, this month. I opted for a diesel for a number of reasons and a new one primarily for reliability.
I purchased a 13hp Beta Marine (Kubota) diesel
and had it professionally installed for under $10,000. I'm very happy with the engine and have only heard positive thing about them. Now, not only don't I worry about having my engine crap out on me, but I also don't worry about stray fuel vapors igniting.

Paul

S/V Bella di Mare

Bill Sanborn

Member III
Are you sure that your A4 is dead. This is a fairly bullet proof engine, there are many still in use. Last I heard rebuilt A4's were going for around $3k. Some parts are becoming more available than were due to demand.

Suggest you subscribe to Sailnets Atomic4 Email list.

:devil: "Better the devil you know"?

Paul Wood

A4 vs. new diesel

Well actualy, yes my A4 is dead AND gone. Sold it
for $735.00, picked up a brand spankin' new
Beta Marine for 4,800.00. So... now I got a new engine for roughly $4,065.00 a couple grand more than another flakey, heavy, 30 year old rebuilt gas engine. Ahhhh peace of mind. Nothing like it.

I already unsubscribed from the A4 mailing list months ago.:D